Free Virtual CD - Gerald Ross - Solo Ukulele

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
In August of 2009, my family rented a beach house for a week on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan at Sturgeon Bay. I packed my Talsma tenor ukulele and my portable Zoom H4N digital recorder.

My plan was to record solo ukulele songs using traditional 1920-1950's recording techniques. I've always admired the musicians of that era and their ability to go into the studio and play a song from start to finish flawlessly, starting over if they made a mistake. Here's what I did...

My "studio" was an upstairs bedroom with a panoramic view of Lake Michigan - not bad, eh? At 7am, Monday - Friday. I recorded twelve songs in sequence. I recorded each song once (and only once) during that day's session. If wasn't happy with my performance or made a mistake during the cut, I would not record a retake until the next day's session.

postcard_small.jpg

Click to listen and download

Last edited:
Hi Gerald, where are the songs?
The 12 songs on top in the uke section? Or anywhere else?

Btw, "Bei mir bist Du schön", shon is wrong for sure...
schön is correct
schoen is correct if you don't have a ö
schon is wrong but acceptable
shon is just wrong
;)

Great resource Gerald, just listened to your songs with my breakfast, what a nice way to wake up in the morning, are they originals or your own compositions? I'd love to learn some of them.

Thanks Gerald, I'm diggin Maria Elena. Haven't heard that song for a long time.

This is a wonderful gift to all of us, thanks so much. I'm loving it and it really has that sound you are trying to capture. Your playing coupled with that wonderful Talsma ukulele is amazing!

I'm only discovering this now (thanks to the thread push / bump). Some really nice stuff. I really need to learn claw-hammer style - every time I hear it I just can't keep still!!! Have you a tab for the Hangman's Reel, I know a few sessions where that would go down really well!

Thanks again for the good words.

I don't have a tab for Hangman's Reel. I do the tune in the key of G out of a plain-vanilla G chord
shape (0232). The melody itself is not too hard. The whole song is the right hand. Look around
on the web for some beginning claw-hammer uke lessons just to get the right hand movement down.

Top Bottom