Nut Problem

OberstVonGatow

Reaction score
The nut on my oscar schmidt sticks out just a tiny bit too far on the bottom (the side closest to A string) its not really a big deal but I can feel it on my left hand sometimes. My question is, is there an easy way to fix this safely or should I just chalk it up to one of those things that make my oscar unique?

How flush the nut is to the neck is one way of judging the workmanship of the instrument. If the finish was sprayed on before the nut was added, it is pretty easy to sand down. If it was sprayed with the nut in place, any sanding requires a finish touchup, which is a pain.

Brad

If it were mine...

Loosen the strings and pull them out of the nut slots and off to the sides.

If the nut is glued in place, put the edge of a steel rule or a dinner knife against the front face of the nut where it butts up against the fretboard and tap sharply but gently with a small hammer or similar. The nut should just pop off.

If the nut is not glued it will come off when you release the tension on the strings. Some people say that string tension is enough to hold the nut on and that you don't need to glue it. Well, that's true, but on some instruments the uneven tension on the strings will tend to pull the nut off-centre and you can get an end overhanging as you describe. Personally, I follow the practice of the builders of most of the several dozens of string instruments I've owned. As most of them have had the nut secured by a spot of glue, that's the way I go and it's always worked great.

If the protruding end was due to the nut being misaligned then clean any glue residue off the nut and off the uke and then put a small spot of Titebond or CA glue on the side of the nut that faces the end of the fretboard (the side you tapped) and press into place. Replace strings and retune.

If the nut is too long, sand some off the offending end and then replace as above.

Alterations to the nut are easy DIY tasks and cheaply/easily fixed if you mess up. Approach with care, take your time, and you won't mess up. :)

Of course, if you're nervous, or not confident to have a go, then I wouldn't try to persuade you to try anything you're not comfortable doing.
:shaka:

Thanks buddhu ima try the sand method, but then again, there's no problem a new uke won't solve :)

If it's flush on one end and sticks out on the other, I'd go at it gently with a fine jeweler's file. But first, I'd mask off any nearby wood so I don't damage the finish. Scotch brand tape works pretty well. Thinner than masking tape means you can file closer to flush. When you see that you're starting to scratch the tape, just stop.

Top Bottom