Nicest Thing You Hear When You Play

Kmetzger

Reaction score
How about some equal time for the positve...

Nicest thing I hear when I play the ukulele is something like "I had no idea that a Ukulele could sound so beautiful", or "i had no idea that is what a ukulele could really sound like".

:)

Great idea for a thread! Thanks!

I like hearing my (nearly deaf) father say, "I always did like to hear you play. I can still hear that if I'm close, and you're getting better and better."

Hey, great thread topic...
I know when I play, I feel tension and the days problems leave me. I do not play well (yet) but it is a great release that I have felt with no other instrument (guitar, bass and mandolin). Not sure I answered the question:confused:

A week ago we had really bad storm. I turned off the TV and the computer and grabbed my baritone and just started playing some random stuff. Rain and wind slammed against the window, and the thunder played the bass lines.

So yeah, the nicest thing I hear when I play is Mother Nature jamming with me!

I think lately, the nicest thing I hear is my hubby singing along when I'm just practicing strumming :) Its kinda nice to know what you're playing sounds like what its supposed to :)

A week ago we had really bad storm. I turned off the TV and the computer and grabbed my baritone and just started playing some random stuff. Rain and wind slammed against the window, and the thunder played the bass lines.

So yeah, the nicest thing I hear when I play is Mother Nature jamming with me!

I find my playing greatly enhance by sounds and feelings from nature. Not too long ago, I was up in Bend, Oregon - visiting some family. Sitting in the backyard, looking out at the pasture and the horses. Feeling a gentle wind against me. Was great. I find my enjoyment always enhanced when I'm getting some interaction from nature, as opposed to when I'm inside my house.

Well...

One of the great things is hearing my 3-year-old daughter exclaim, "Daddy's playing his ookoolaylay (I taught her that)!" Then have her come running in and say, "can I play with you?"

Unfortunately, it usually means the end of my practice session...but it is a great bonding time...

When my wife walks in the room and says...."I love the way that song sounds on ukulele". Also, when she suddenly starts singing along from the other room....that is the sweetest for me.

My 10 year old son loves to play my ukes. The other day I was playing my new Mainland and he watched/listened for a couple of minutes and said, "That is SOOOO pretty!"

He meant both the instrument itself and my playing.

My cold, cynical heart just melted.

The best things I heard when I played for my class for the first time today:

"I'm going to get a ukulele -- they're so cool."
"I never expected you to be able to sing."
"That's really good."
"Can I play with it a bit?"
"We should all get ukuleles and form a band."
"Can you show me a chord?"
"Can we do this again?"

In fact, there was not one negative reaction. I had a good day today.

ETA: Actually there was a negative reaction -- mine when I heard the beginning of "Smoke on the Water" from one of the kids who wanted to have a go, but I held my peace.

well if it isn't the ying to my thread's yang! you know you want to come to the dark side....
in any case I've had some great comments. One of the more recent ones was when I was on stage and I could hear the one or two people talking in the crowd and one guy said "this guy is friggin' awesome" that made me happy =D
another good one was when I had met another uke player at a performance of hers. I wanted to play with her later on but it was the beginning of summer break and we had to split. When I met up with her (with some help from you guys) I had learned one of her songs and she said it was really cool that I learned it.

"You make it looks so easy"

Followed By

"Can you show me how to play that?"

Top Bottom