PDA

View Full Version : Who would you Deach?

Uncle-Taco
09-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I've thought of posting this question for a while but I haven't because I don't have a choice of my own yet:

If you could Deach any ukulele to anyone (musical artist, film star, historical figure, other celebrity, cartoon...?...) currently living or otherwise,
1. Who would you choose, and why?
2. What ukulele would you like to present to them? (maker, size, style, wood, other-worldly features...what?)
3. What would you hope to see/hear them do with it? (Jam with you? perform something? Teach you? ???)

Do a few if you like, since we're fantasizing!:D

(Edit: Make that "Whom"; I'm an editor; that's my excuse)

UkeNinja
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
1. I would deach you, just because (this is the only valid reason to deach someone).
2. A custom of your choice, style/wood/size of your choice.
3. I would hope that you put in on a hanger on your living room wall. The ultimate wallhanger!

Good thing we're fantasizing...

sleepsinashoe
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
1. Obama
2. Makala Dolphin from MGM
3. The ol' Star Spangled

leftovermagic84
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I would deach Darth Vader with a tiki fluke.

Vindelanda
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I would deach Deach because well, Deach getting Deached would be quite funny.
I'd give him...whatever he wanted.
I'd want him to give me a lesson, I think. :D

Craig
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd deach, Deach.

I'd give him a year's supply of disposable razors for his head.
I'd give him a bow tie (another one that is).
A gallon of Axe cologne...for obvious reasons....;)

UkuEroll
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
You can't Deach Deach, only Deach can Deach!

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Deach my p.e teacher a tiki flea.

ukerazy
09-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I would 'ukerazy' a Pineapple sunday to Ankho honu and have it engraved saying 'Pineapple dude!' Maybe one day my friend!!

keithy351
09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
i would show you all and get deach to deach me with a pono mango, that'll show all of you... Or i would deach Osama Binlardin with a fluke soprano cowboy theme

buddhuu
09-09-2009, 12:52 AM
There are loads of people to whom I'd love to give gifts. For the purpose of the thread I have to narrow it down a bit, so I'm tackling the question in the "traditional" context of deaching ukuleles.

At the jam I organise in our local pub I get so many people coming up to me and saying "Oh, I really wish I could play a musical instrument". After experiencing the indescribable joy of making music with other people (or at least trying to!), I think that it is just so sad that someone who yearns to play should not have a go at doing so.

If I could afford it I would deach a modest Makala dolphin to each of the people who say that to me. There can be no easier or better instrument to learn to play to a modest level than an ukulele.

Tell you what, as soon as I'm a little way out of the woods as far as debt is concerned I'm going to do it at least once. The only problem will be choosing which person to deach. I'll have to do it quietly so the others don't know - at least until I win the lottery and can buy a bunch of dolphins!

I know that Deach always claims that he is just repaying the karma that hit him up first, but to have inspired a craze for giving gifts of music, and having the practice named after him... well, I hope it gives him the joy he deserves. I reckon his karma account must be in credit by now.

Uncle-Taco
09-09-2009, 03:50 AM
I've finally got one. Buddhu inspired me:

Who? A random kid. The first greasy-haired, shy, lonely kid who stared at said ukulele in "that" way. I'd know the look when I saw it.

Why? I was that kid. Our school had a uke club, but my mom wouldn't let me go nor would she fork out the 9 bucks (17 for a "baritone") for a uke, and I wanted nothing more on God's green earth. There was nothing cooler that I ever saw, but it was sooooo out of my reach.

What ukulele? The Honu with the sea turtle bridge. I think I would have loved that as a kid.

What would I want to see them do with it? Sparkle. I'd know that look when I saw it, too. (And then bust into "Hey Joe." ;))

hoosierhiver
09-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Kim Jung Ill,
maybe it'd chill him out.
He should learn "Don't worry, be happy"

buddhuu
09-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Kim Jung Ill,
Good call. Poor fella SO needs an ukulele.

RevWill
09-09-2009, 05:15 AM
I would deach a Flea and a beginner-level songbook of children's songs to my sister-in-law. She's a Kindergarten teacher, and she wishes she could play a musical instrument.

ukuleG
09-09-2009, 05:23 AM
i would get a time machine and deach myself at the age of about 3.

RevWill
09-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Shouldn't we deach Deach?

Citrus
09-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd love to give a uke away to some of the people who have done so much for the ukulele community like seeso, dom, or deach. But I don't think I'd be able to afford much so it would probably be something that they could put up a contest for, that or something really strange like a banjolele or a sopranino.

LonnaB
09-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I would Deach my dad.

He played the guitar when he was younger and when I asked him if he still had one around the house he said "no" and I could hear some sadness in his voice. I know he would enjoy a ukulele.

He's had a really bad year with his health and I think he would be the perfect candidate for a mahogany mainland tenor.

(then again, I think just about anyone's a good candidate for a mainland!)

:smileybounce:

upskydowncloud
09-09-2009, 07:40 AM
yo mamma (sorry, I couldn't resist!).

I'd probably Deach Deach, Deach Deach.

haole
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
The verb "to Deach" doesn't have an "I" form. If you mention that you gave an ukulele to someone and publicize it, it's no longer a Deaching. ;)

RevWill
09-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Kim Jung Ill,

Or his brother, Menta Lee Ill.

sukie
09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I've finally got one. Buddhu inspired me:

Who? A random kid. The first greasy-haired, shy, lonely kid who stared at said ukulele in "that" way. I'd know the look when I saw it.

Why? I was that kid. Our school had a uke club, but my mom wouldn't let me go nor would she fork out the 9 bucks (17 for a "baritone") for a uke, and I wanted nothing more on God's green earth. There was nothing cooler that I ever saw, but it was sooooo out of my reach.

What ukulele? The Honu with the sea turtle bridge. I think I would have loved that as a kid.

What would I want to see them do with it? Sparkle. I'd know that look when I saw it, too. (And then bust into "Hey Joe." ;))

THAT is a terrific idea. What a nice person you are.:bowdown:

09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
outside the forum. my makuakane. low g kamaka 6 string. he'd have fun with that.

within this forum. Uncle Ji aka Ahnko Honu. i'd find his dad's original kamaka. for all the mana`o he's kokua me, (both in the water and on land) he deserves it.

Rubbertoe
09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd Deach the UU staff. My ability would be nowhere close to where it is now (not that it's super or anything) without all the lessons, uke minutes and uke got mails. They're such great guys that they'd probably Deach the ukes in a contest or something but that's even better - the Deach that keeps on Deaching!

Matt Clara
09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd Deach all my friends, and my boss, in the hopes it would stick with just a few of them. Even one--hey, presto--the world's a better place. :)

vahn
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh I'm deaching my kids... soon enough.... soon enough.... 3 boys aged 4, 2, and 1. The 4 year old currently has a bad $30 indiana and I would probably deach him the Bushman jenny pineapple because he loves it.

sukie
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't think you can "deach" your own family. But I'm not an expert. Wonder if "anyone" is getting tired of this thread yet?

deach
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
.... Wonder if "anyone" is getting tired of this thread yet?

"Anyone" is using this thread to see how people think. "Anyone" is laughing at what people think 'deached' means.

austin1
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Over the summer I worked in an orphanage in Bolivia, and one day I brought my ukulele with me to the house. I got totally swarmed, and my uke was promptly commandeered by seven ten year olds, who started plucking away at "the weird charango" and insisting I teach them things. I taught them all the chords I knew, and then I didn't see my uke for a couple hours. At the end of the day, two of the boys brought it back to me, all excited because they'd written a song (which I got to listen to :) ) It was a pretty awesome time, so if I could afford to deach anybody, it would probably be those kids, just because it made them so happy. but I'd have to deach them something completely indestructible...like a flea...reinforced with steel...

so yeah! whoo!

:smileybounce:

Uncle-Taco
09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
"Anyone" is using this thread to see how people think. "Anyone" is laughing at what people think 'deached' means.

Yeah. It kind of wasn't my intention to have the word (word?) given the workout it has gotten and I probably should have gone with my initial instinct not to use it, but then nobody would have understood what I meant. My bad.

To go more toward what I was originally thinking, here's another one:

Jim Henson (of muppet fame).
Why? He was Jim Freaking Henson, man! He ruled.
What uke? A blue fur covered long-necked soprano with cookie inlays.
What would I hope to see him do with it? Strap it to a muppet (Dr. Teeth, maybe) and do his favorite song (and mine): "Lydia the Tattooed Lady."

Craig
09-09-2009, 04:13 PM
They probably think it means wearing a pink hat!...:)

buddhuu
09-09-2009, 10:44 PM

uh oh... :eek:

russ_buss
09-10-2009, 05:42 AM

i deached my coffee with splenda this morning, right after i had my morning deach. then i deached on the television to watch the morning news. wow, that Obama speech outburst! how deached up was that?!?

i need a deachin' vacation. *sigh*

deachly yours,
deachbuss415

ukuleG
09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
i would get a time machine and deach myself at the age of about 3.

my sentence could be very inappropriate if deached doesn't mean what i thought it meant. :confused:.

Apfelkuch3n
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I can also say that there are a lot of people I'd like to deach a Ukulele, but there is one special person that I'd loved to deach a Uke to her birthday on 9/26, but sadly she's not really into playing an instrument. She says that she'd like to play but, she wouldn't wanna practice.

Mayhaps you guys could help me convince her. I would love to just deach her a nice Ukulele, but what if she won't like it? =\
I could play the Ukulele myself, wouldn't be a problem, but I want to play with her.

Did you convert someone to play the Uke, and if you did, I'd love to know how.

I'll be also trying to play guitar with her, the first thing she said when I teached her Falling Down was that her fingertips hurt and that practicing sucks but after a short time she liked playing it :'D

But I like to play the Ukulele more than the guitar, that's why I'd love to play Uke with her. She can also sing (she's saying she can't, but she can) and that's perfect because I can't ^^

Who I'd also want to deach a Uke is Deach, maybe I can do that some day in the future. I will meet you guys so badly, that's not normal, is it? :D

Ahnko Honu
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
outside the forum. my makuakane. low g kamaka 6 string. he'd have fun with that.

within this forum. Uncle Ji aka Ahnko Honu. i'd find his dad's original kamaka. for all the mana`o he's kokua me, (both in the water and on land) he deserves it.

WOW, Mahalo for the thought. One day we fish and play uke together when I come visit my sis in San Jose. :shaka:

ukerazy
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
WOW, Mahalo for the thought. One day we fish and play uke together when I come visit my sis in San Jose. :shaka:

Thats 2 you got so far then lol have you seen mine on the first page?

UkuEroll
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
uh oh... :eek:

That cracked me up, well said Rick!!

buddhuu
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Sshh! He's watching our every move...

HaileISela
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
The verb "to Deach" doesn't have an "I" form. If you mention that you gave an ukulele to someone and publicize it, it's no longer a Deaching. ;)

oh so true...

Ahnko Honu
09-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I would 'ukerazy' a Pineapple sunday to Ankho honu and have it engraved saying 'Pineapple dude!' Maybe one day my friend!!

WOW You are AWESOME. How did I miss this? :love::shaka::cheers:

ukerazy
09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
WOW You are AWESOME. How did I miss this? :love::shaka::cheers:

I don't know! How did you miss it!!? It was on the first page, I knew you would read the thread eventually! How you doin' Pineapple dude?

Ahnko Honu
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm kind of pupule, I see a long thread and I start reading it from the end. :rolleyes: I am doing okay, mahalo.

Rick
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Hah wow.

1. I'd deach my friend Sammy. She's the reason I picked up an ukulele in the first place. I always saw one and wanted one, but when she bought one and I tinkered around with it I bought one of my own :]
2. I'd get her a KA-CEWT. It's Kala mohagony concert with a white paint job.
3. I'd like to see her chunking.

Failey
09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Hah wow.

1. I'd deach my friend Sammy. She's the reason I picked up an ukulele in the first place. I always saw one and wanted one, but when she bought one and I tinkered around with it I bought one of my own :]
2. I'd get her a KA-CEWT. It's Kala mohagony concert with a white paint job.
3. I'd like to see her chunking.

Awwwwwwwwwh :)
thats sweet Rickky.
anyways.
1.) I'd deach Rick! He's been a big help at getting myself to try harder with the ukulele and to opening my eyes to more things ukulele.
2.) I'd get him that batman looking ukulele, I'm not sure what it is excatlly but if you ask him i'm sure he'll know haha.
3.) I'd like to see him singing some more, He's got a great voice, he just doesn't use it.

Rick
09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Awwwwwwwwwh :)
thats sweet Rickky.
anyways.
1.) I'd deach Rick! He's been a big help at getting myself to try harder with the ukulele and to opening my eyes to more things ukulele.
2.) I'd get him that batman looking ukulele, I'm not sure what it is excatlly but if you ask him i'm sure he'll know haha.
3.) I'd like to see him singing some more, He's got a great voice, he just doesn't use it.

Aha it's a KoAloha Concert Sceptre

vahn
09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I would (and will) Deach my sons.... for the kind of ukes I think my oldest gets the eleuke, the middle my Bushman pineapple and the youngest can have the kala lacewood...

Other than my kids I would deach my friend Chad who is my band leader.... I would deach him a LU-21p because hes a really good guitarist and I wouldn't want him getting a hold of a tenor... I'd like to see him play some traditional hawaiin music because he always me play off the wall uke stuff..

RevWill
09-23-2009, 03:20 AM
I would love to Deach my church 6-7 Fleas and Flukes and start an Ukulele praise ministry.

Blrfl
09-23-2009, 04:14 AM
I would (and will) Deach my sons....

Deach your children well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6pphVs8bF0) :D

--Mark

sukie
09-23-2009, 07:25 AM
I really don't think you can deach your children. That's just what you do with your kids, give them stuff. Deaching (I'm no expert) seems to be an extremely selfless way to give people lovely things that they aren't expecting. And don't even try to explain it to "outsiders". The blank looks are ridiculous.

UKISOCIETY
09-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I would Deach this young woman, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-Z5zh1pbY) who currently only owns a Mahalo.

In fact, maybe I will! :)

beeejums
09-25-2009, 03:39 AM
If I could afford it, I'd give ukes to my brothers and brothers-in-law, since they all like it when I play and they all mess around with my ukes and talk about how they'd like to play. I guess maybe if they had their own they'd put some effort into learning. It doesn't take much with a ukulele. but I don't know if I'd call it a deaching since I don't know if I'm sure what qualifies a deaching.

RevWill
09-25-2009, 04:13 AM
I would Deach this young woman, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-Z5zh1pbY) who currently only owns a Mahalo.

Go for it.

keithy351
09-25-2009, 05:24 AM

definetly i totally agree thats a deserving character

KC8AFW
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM

I agree. Her Mahalo did match her outfit, however. :p I can't believe she only had 4 subs (5 now).