Ok... Anything else to consider than the Kala KA-15s

lespaul_79

Reaction score
Staring down this from MGM. "SETUP! Kala KA- 15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele w Aquilas"

http://cgi.ebay.com/SETUP!-Kala-KA-...0906?IMSfp=TL090906163006r25443#ht_1849wt_958

Got a super tight budget. So $65 (uke + shipping) is the best I can get away with right now. Can't go any higher.

Don't want a toy (one day I'll some of the dolphin Makala's for my car uke/gdae uke...). Want something that has good TONE & that will last me until I can afford to upgrade.

Anything else that is better for under $65 than the KA-15s from MGM? THANK U!!!!!:music:

I'd honestly recommend you to wait until you can get something at least double the cost of that. If you can wait another month till you are able to save up even more, I would go with one of the higher end Kala's. You could either spend a little money now and a little money later and so on until you have a lot of cheap ukes, or you could save up for a little bit longer and get a fine uke.

I would call Mike directly and explain your budget. Ask him what he would recommend for your goals and expectations. I'm sure he'll steer you in the right direction. He's a wonderful guy.

I'd honestly recommend you to wait until you can get something at least double the cost of that. If you can wait another month till you are able to save up even more, I would go with one of the higher end Kala's. You could either spend a little money now and a little money later and so on until you have a lot of cheap ukes, or you could save up for a little bit longer and get a fine uke.

I totally hear ya. I just need some kind of uke to get me through the next year.

I would look for the Ohana equivalent of that uke, reason being, Kalas tend to be very sturdily built, but their sound is somewhat muted as a result. The Ohanas, which tend to sell for the same price, are quite a bit lighter and tend to sing out more loudly, too. Laminates don't vibrate as freely as solid wood, so a thinner/lighter build would help.

Here's one to watch (all solid mahogany)--no, it's not mine. I do have a CK-25 that I like a lot, and can recommend the Ohana all mahogany--my only complaint is the top string runs perilously close to the fretboard edge.

Top Bottom