Just put some Worth browns on my tenor

itsme

Reaction score
I'm a relative n00b to uke (coming from a classical guitar background), but I have to admit that I felt the Aquilas that came on my tenor felt pretty harsh on my fingers that were already accustomed to CG strings.

I was hoping to try the Worth clears after hearing so much about them, but MGM was out of them so I bought a set of BT browns that arrived today and I just put them on.

First impression was that these things aren't just brown, they're almost black! I had hesitated because I dislike black nylon strings on a classical (especially with a light colored spruce top), just don't like the look.

But my tenor is a dark mahogany, the dark color of the strings doesn't bother me at all. In fact, if anything, it blends in way better than the bright white of the Aquilas.

Strings are still settling in, but I can already tell I'm going to really like them. :)

Much more fluid feeling under my fingertips and they sound much sweeter, not clunky like the Aquilas. I know these are nebulous sounding terms, but I would give the Worth browns a big thumbs up for now.

I will still try the clears when MGM gets them in high g.

www.elderly.com has clears in stock. They have the regular tenor set, as well as fats, and high tensions. Can't say enough good things about the Worth clears - which is what I have on both my Ukuleles.

I have worth clears on my Mainland Tenor, like itsme I found the Aquilas just a bit harsh sounding on that Uke, I have them on my Concert and they sound great but the worths have such a nice feel to them and the tone is really mellow, I hear the browns are even "mellower" if there is such a word. I would have said "nebulous" but I don't know what that means :)

www.elderly.com has clears in stock. They have the regular tenor set, as well as fats, and high tensions. Can't say enough good things about the Worth clears - which is what I have on both my Ukuleles.

Already being a big fan of the browns (although I can't quite hear the difference between the light and medium tension), I am waiting to get a set of clears to test out. I had heard them on a friend's uke and we both agreed they sounded actually "warmer" than the browns.

Thanks. I knew elderly had clears in stock, but they don't take paypal. Don't want to use the cc when I've got some mad money in pp. :)

I'm a relative n00b to uke (coming from a classical guitar background), but I have to admit that I felt the Aquilas that came on my tenor felt pretty harsh on my fingers that were already accustomed to CG strings.

I have the same problem. After years of playing classical guitar it is impossible for me to like the sound nad feel of Aquilas. Especially when you try to play with nails.

Much more fluid feeling under my fingertips and they sound much sweeter, not clunky like the Aquilas. I know these are nebulous sounding terms, but I would give the Worth browns a big thumbs up for now.

I will still try the clears when MGM gets them in high g.

Do it. Try the clears. They feel just like ordinary classical guitar strings, but they have fuller and really nice sound. I tried the Worth browns and those are a little too thin for my fingers, but I must agree they sound very nice.

I love the the clears and the browns, although I only have browns on one uke. I tried putting a brown set on my Fluke Tenor, but the knot on one of the strings kept snapping to the point where the string got too short, and I had to throw it out. Might just a sharp point on my fluke bridge, but the Aquilas and Hilo strings just took it fine. That's the only issue that I've had with the browns, but they definitely do sound good. My personal preference is for the clears though, because I do think they sound slightly richer.

I've heard that browns and clears are the same thickness, but either it is my imagination, or just the different ukes, but I swear that the clears feel thicker and easier to play and bend...I'm probably crazy.

I've heard that browns and clears are the same thickness, but either it is my imagination, or just the different ukes, but I swear that the clears feel thicker and easier to play and bend...I'm probably crazy.

So I'm propably crazy too ;) .. because I have the same feeling.

Dang it! Now you've all got me wanting to try the clears even more. :(

I will, for sure, but since changing strings isn't something I do for fun, I'll keep the new browns on for a month or two and see if I can wear them out before another change. :)

Nebulous is one of those words where the exact meaning isn't clear.....:D

Here's the Worth String Chart, looks like the Browns and Clears have the same diameter.

I had some Aquilas on my Melokia Concert and it sounded pretty OK... Changed to Worth brown mediums and WOW! Much crisper and mellow at the same time. It was a perfect match between uke and string... YMMV

The new strings have settled in nicely, and I'm very happy with them. They feel easier to play under my fingertips than the nylguts, and the sound is really sweet.

But preference of strings is always a personal matter. Try different brands/types for yourself. I know there are a lot of Aquila fans out there, I just think I like flourocarbons better, but that's me and not you. :)

I have not tried Worth clear yet, but I have the light tension Worth brown strings on two soprano ukuleles and they sound great; loud and bright, very clear sound from each string. They are real thin and did feel a bit strange at first, but they sound so good I got used the feeling (like playing a ukulele strung with fishing line) actually I think they are made of similar material. I would like to try thicker ones but the thin ones feel real tight and I would not want to overstress my little sopranos with too tight of a string tension. Has anyone put the medium tension on a soprano?:confused:

I have not tried Worth clear yet, but I have the light tension Worth brown strings on two soprano ukuleles and they sound great; loud and bright, very clear sound from each string. They are real thin and did feel a bit strange at first, but they sound so good I got used the feeling (like playing a ukulele strung with fishing line) actually I think they are made of similar material. I would like to try thicker ones but the thin ones feel real tight and I would not want to overstress my little sopranos with too tight of a string tension. Has anyone put the medium tension on a soprano?:confused:

I have Worth CMs on my 1930s Favilla soprano. I really like those strings on that uke for both feel and sound.

Thanks, I will try them on mine. I have a 1930's Harmony and an epiphone soprano and I thi nk worth strings sound the best on them but the lights feel real skinny so meds should be just right!

Top Bottom