"f holes"

dave g

Reaction score
Coming soon...

fholes.jpg

I want to tweak the template just a little bit more, then I'll be in business :)

They are sized for a fairly large body concert. Going to have a cutout and an electric guitar-like peghead too. It's actually going to be a wooden prototype for the next aluminum bodied uke me and Metaldelphia are planning on producing. Wood neck this time, not the Klingon thing... :shaka:

LOL, at first when I saw the topic title I thought "Geez, the Luthier's Lounge is getting rather vulgar!" Haha, I like the true version better. They look really good, post pictures when it's on a uke!

LOL :) - I was sort of thinking about making the subject "F'n f holes", but thought the better of it.

LOL, at first when I saw the topic title I thought "Geez, the Luthier's Lounge is getting rather vulgar!" Haha, I like the true version better. They look really good, post pictures when it's on a uke!

man, I've totally been looking for a template. I traced one from paper, but had to cut it out using a dremel cuz I got jack for tools...ask me how well that went.

"how did it go?"

- It could have gone better

you wanna make me a template? I'll pay for shipping buddy ol' pal:) I only need one f-hole, I'll just flip it over to do the 2nd one.

you wanna make me a template?

No, sorry... do it yourself; it builds character :)

I started by searching the internets for nice square-on photos, imported the best into AutoCad, traced around it, then scaled it to fit. Printed that on paper, glued it to a piece of masonite, and cut it out with drill bits and scroll saw. Cleaned that up with needle files and sand paper. I then screwed up the first template with my router and started over. Settled on using a Dremel tool mounted in a shaper base like thing instead of the big router. I'm using a straight 1/8" bit raised up so high that the plain shaft of the thing makes a pilot bearing to about 1/4" above the table. The template is taped onto the bottom of the work piece, so you're working blind, kinda. But once everything is good it takes all of 45 seconds or so to do a single f-hole. Flip the template over on the center line and repeat.

Unfortunately I can't get it to work cutting aluminum - the bit just clogs up right away and stops cutting... All the more reason to do the prototype out of wood. Once I'm satisfied with the shapes and what-not we'll get aluminum tops & backs laser cut straight from the AutoCad file.

character's overrated...hahaa

I'll get it. I found out the guitar class I got miraculously placed into for free was canceled...I am waaaaay bummed. I was stoked about getting help learning, now I gotta see if I can feasibly rig up some bending forms and get stuff I need for some real woodwork...probably not. Money and space are huge issues. I guess all things in good time.

Aloha Dave,

I have a Kala flame with stunningly beautiful f-holes that are the perfect size for a tenor. It's on loan to a friend now while I rebuild his 50's Martin tenor (split in half), but I'll get it back next week and would be glad to send you photos suitable for tracing. Lemme know!

In school, I was describing my new guitar to a classmate and the teacher tried to send me to the office for saying "F-holes." My friend explained, though, to the teacher's satisfaction, that I was talking about my guitar.

I got sent to the office five minutes later anyway for saying "humbuckers." She just wasn't going to believe that wasn't nasty. :cool:

in school, i was describing my new guitar to a classmate and the teacher tried to send me to the office for saying "f-holes." my friend explained, though, to the teacher's satisfaction, that i was talking about my guitar.

I got sent to the office five minutes later anyway for saying "humbuckers." she just wasn't going to believe that wasn't nasty. :cool:

lol.......:D

In school, I was describing my new guitar to a classmate and the teacher tried to send me to the office for saying "F-holes." My friend explained, though, to the teacher's satisfaction, that I was talking about my guitar.

I got sent to the office five minutes later anyway for saying "humbuckers." She just wasn't going to believe that wasn't nasty. :cool:

Did you mention "g-string" too...?...:eek:

Dave, you have got to make some of those out of wood! I'm starting to save up the money now!

Damn! That's pretty!

That's gonna be a beautiful uke....

And more progress! The rosewood fretboard and bridge are just laying there, and everything needs to be sanded :)

103-5.jpg

It's got a promising "tap tone" to it - I think it's going to sound really good :D

Top Bottom