Canada Ukin' eh?

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've been in Canada the last week or so and arrived in Victoria BC two days ago. Yesterday, (after seeing the museum and a few IMAX films) I went to a music store called "Larsen's Music".

They had a *wall* of ukes! I was blown away. I sat down and just began to play them one by one. Mele, Kala, Ko'olau, Pono, Flea/Fluke, and Lanikai were a few of the brands they carried and they also had a few vintage Kamaka ukes there as well. As I was playing one of the store clerks approached me. (I was playing Gently Weeps) He said, "Someone has been watching that youtube video...". He then asked me some questions and showed me his favorite ukes in the store.

After that, one of the managers came up to me and asked where I had learned to play the uke. He is a player too, (I told him about UU!) and he had loads of questions. "Why do you play with a High G? What is your favorite kind of uke? What strings do you use? etc. It was really cool to talk with this guy. He than asked me what kind of ukes I think that he should start stocking. So I told him, of course, that he should look into Mainland Ukulele and Ohana. ;)

There were roughly 5-6 people working in the store and they all were so nice and interested. "I've never heard a uke played like that live!", was one compliment I got that just really got me. I guess they sell a LOT of ukes and usually average 2-3 a DAY! They sell ukes to local schools too. I think that is probably the coolest thing ever.

As I was talking about uke sales, a couple walked in and went straight for the uke wall. As they were looking, a store clerk asked what they were looking for. "I'd like to start learning the uke!", the woman exclaimed. The clerk pointed her to me and and said, "This guy knows more than anyone else here, maybe he'll help you out?" Wait me?! I don't even work here.. Haha. Of course I did help here. Showed her what her options were in her price range and helped her decide on a Kala KA-SC. Haha, I made my first uke sale without even working at the store.

I than bought some Worth Strings and said my farewell to people in the store.

It was quite the unexpected experience. :shaka:

Sounds like an awesome store! Too bad that I'm on the opposite end of the country (well, not quite, but almost). The closest thing we have here to a wall of ukes is a row of Mahalos (and an odd Oscar Schmidt, here and there). Although, a couple of the larger music stores in Toronto carry Fender ukes. Too bad the sales folks don't know much about them. :mad:

That store sounds awesome! I've been to Victoria, but it was before I got hooked on the ukulele.
We have relatives in that area, so the next time we visit them I'll be sure to go! (And probably be ill with UAS for several weeks.)

Isn't James Hillabukura from Canada eh?

I wasn't saying that canada isn't full uke talent! I am saying quite the contrary. I went to the store again today and talked with Paul for a ling while. He showed me their acoustic shop and some of the ukes he was restoring! It was such a great experience. (thanks so much Paul) I told him many times about UU and hopefully he'll check this out.

I know what store I'll be coming too every time I'm in Victoria... :)

Aw, man. And Victoria's such a beautiful city. I hope to live there some day. And when I do, I'm going to visit that store. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll visit that store beforehand.

Actually, they have quite a selection of ukes featured in their online catalogue, too. Might be a place to keep in mind for ordering purposes for anyone in Western Canada... http://www.larsenmusic.ca/c-208-ukulele.aspx

I didn't think there were ANY Uke players in Canada.... too hard to play with mittens on :D
Nah, we chew the tips off them. But trust me, it's hard to hang them on the wall of the igloo because I keep hitting my head on them when I come home from work on my dog sled...

Didn't you ever hear of the great Canadian native ukulele player? Nanukulele of the North. Uses seal gut strings, I'm told.​

Top Bottom