Martin Baritone bridge

xjumper

Reaction score
I am completely new and semi-clueless in regard to Ukulele's. I played my first one a week ago. Since then I have picked up a Martin Baritone which really sounds nice. My question is that on most of the Martin Baritone's bridges I've seen have bridge pins. The one I have has a bridge like a classical guitar, in that the strings are tied. Could any one shed any light on the difference in the two bridges?
This web site is great! What a wealth of information.
Thanks in advance.
Ron in Florida

Can you post pictures? I've personally never seen a Martin bari without a pin bridge, maybe the bridge is a replacement?

Wow, that's really unusual. I don't think I've ever seen a Martin without pins. Now that I think on it, I'm sure I've never seen any Martin without pins. Perhaps it was repaired at one point. Do you know how old it is? Does the finish look original? What kind of pegs does it have? Friction or geared? I think someone must have worked it and replaced the bridge. Too bad as Martins in their original condition are sought after. Anyway, tying on a bar bridge is really easy, and I prefer bar bridges far more than pin bridges anyway as I find that ties are more stable once the string is stretched and set. The knots required for pin bridges make the process of setting new strings longer and kind of a pain, especially if you make the mistake of making the knot too small, which can result in the string popping out from the pin groove. Ouch!

Anyway, if you've never tied on a bar bridge:

1. Push the string through the hole from the sound hole side about 3 inches.
2. Wrap the loose end around the string once, this creates a loop in the string
3. Wrap the loose end around the part of the string that makes the loop twice
4. Pull the loose end close to the body of the uke while pulling on the other end of the string
5. The loop part captures the lose end against the back of the bar bridge and makes the end lie down against the surface of the uke
6. trim
You're done!

Lot's of internet pics on the procedure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick responses. I called Martin today and the tech said that the tenor and baritone's always had bridge pins. So this instrument has either had its bridge changed or it is an older ukulele with a Martin decal! He said to send him pictures of it and they may be able to determine if it is a true Martin. Actually, either way is O.K. with me. I like it what ever it is, and I guess that's all that really matters.
I really appreciate all your help. I have to admit that this ukulele stuff is really addictive!!

Here are the specs on Martin baritones taken from George Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars (Copyrighted 1991):

"Style 51: baritone ukulele, 10" wide, 20-1/8" scale, mahogany body, white-black-white soundhole rings, 2-ply top binding with dark outer layer, single-ply dark back binding, pin bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 14 frets clear of body...Introduced in 1960...Still in production"

Hope this helps you to identify...:D

Last edited:
That information answered the question! It is apparently a K-Mart copy, but not a bad copy. The one I have has no binding at all.
But, it sure was nice to have a 'Martin' for a few days! At least now I don't have to be paranoid about dinging it or scratching it.
Thanks again,
Ron

I'll try to get them on before the end of the weekend.
BTW, the ukulele was not advertised as a Martin, but a 'vintage baritone from the 60's' which it looks like it is. You can imagine my surprise when I looked at the headstock and saw the Martin sticker!

Top Bottom