PDA

View Full Version : 8 string uke

youcrazii
09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
anyone out there own a 8 string tenor uke? if so, can you give some advice..im freaking get murdered by this plucking sound everytime i hold some of the strings to play a chord..also if you know an easy beginner songs on the 8 string uke..wanna let me know...

thx ah..shoots den:shaka:

Dino
09-09-2009, 09:35 PM
anyone out there own a 8 string tenor uke? if so, can you give some advice..im freaking get murdered by this plucking sound everytime i hold some of the strings to play a chord..also if you know an easy beginner songs on the 8 string uke..wanna let me know...

Hey Youcrazii,
If nobody has yet, I welcome you to UU. You have found a great place to be since you are interested in the Ukulele.

I am an owner of an 8-string Kala Tenor uke. I love your "I'm freaking get murdered by this plucking sound" statement. Made me smile. Are you just starting out on the uke? If so, my advise about the 8-string would be to start off with a 4-string uke. If you have been playing a 4-string tenor prior to the 8, then basically its just a matter of keep practicing. It does take a little more effort to play and 8-string since you have to get used to pressing 2 strings instead of one. As far as easy beginner songs, go with some 3-chord songs.....I'm running a blank right now, but maybe a fellow UU'er can come up with some 3 chord songs for you. Aloha, Dino

youcrazii
09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
lol, yea im a noob at the uke..started yesterday and just been playing around..but no i havent learned a four string because i dont know where to buy one in arizona, so i just use the 8 string one in the family..but i will definitely find some 3 chord songs to practice on...

thanx ah brah!! shoots

Kanaka916
09-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Here are some stores located in AZ (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178181&postcount=1).

youcrazii
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
rahjah day kanaka916!

thanx choke...shoots

Dino
09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
lol, yea im a noob at the uke..started yesterday and just been playing around..but no i havent learned a four string because i dont know where to buy one in arizona, so i just use the 8 string one in the family..but i will definitely find some 3 chord songs to practice on...

thanx ah brah!! shoots

Just curious, what brand of uke do you have there?

youcrazii
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
mele i think...

wfwhitson
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I also have a Mele 8 string, love mine.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq342/wfwhitson/IMG_0389.jpg
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq342/wfwhitson/IMG_0390.jpg

Sending you some tabs to your PM box,

ukulele2544
09-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't have a 8 string tenor, but all I know about that is it's made for strumming.

mailman
09-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I also have a Mele 8 string, love mine.

Is the eight string uke about the same idea as a twelve string guitar? I know that on the 12 string the paired strings are tuned to octaves, except the highest ones. Similar on uke?

Spooner
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Is the eight string uke about the same idea as a twelve string guitar? I know that on the 12 string the paired strings are tuned to octaves, except the highest ones. Similar on uke?

Yes. The G strings and C strings are octaves apart and the E and A strings are doubled.

wfwhitson
09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't have a 8 string tenor, but all I know about that is it's made for strumming.

Not true I pick, and strum. I am pretty sure others do also.:shaka:

Spooner
09-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Im picking right now..ok typing...but just before that. :)

ukulele2544
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but it's eaiser to strum

wfwhitson
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Im picking right now..ok typing...but just before that. :)

Oh shooot I wanted to see you picking, strumming, and typing. Do you use all ten toes when typing?:biglaugh:

Spooner
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh shooot I wanted to see you picking, strumming, and typing. Do you use all ten toes when typing?:biglaugh:

Sometimes ya just gotta use all of your appendages. :p

mailman
09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Do you guys with 8 strings have any links to sound samples or videos? I'd really like to hear one! I love the sound of a 12 string guitar, and if the 8 string uke is similar.....;)

Spooner
09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Do you guys with 8 strings have any links to sound samples or videos? I'd really like to hear one! I love the sound of a 12 string guitar, and if the 8 string uke is similar.....;)

I haven't done one in awhile...no time.

I'll make my next one on the 8 string.

wfwhitson
09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is an 8 string, you will need to install Quicktime to see it.

http://www.koaukulele.com/uke-video9.php

wfwhitson
09-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Here is an e-book some of the tabs are on the easy side, give it a try. By the way it is in German but that shouln't matter as you just wanted the tabs.

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf

youcrazii
09-12-2009, 04:43 AM
:shaka:lol, thanx brah...major help!

Lori
09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Here is an 8 string, you will need to install Quicktime to see it.

http://www.koaukulele.com/uke-video9.php

Nice link. Now you've done it. I want one too! Or maybe a 6 string.

–Lori

ichadwick
09-12-2009, 08:12 AM
anyone out there own a 8 string tenor uke? if so, can you give some advice..im freaking get murdered by this plucking sound everytime i hold some of the strings to play a chord
What do you mean by "im freaking get murdered by this plucking sound"? Are you getting dead strings? Buzzing or rattling strings? The former is related to playing style, the latter can be style or neck/action problems.

I have an 8-string Lanikai tenor and don't find it particularly difficult to play, nor any more difficult than any of my four-string ukes, although more care must be given when fingerpicking to be sure the pair is plucked, not just one.

I suggest four-string ukes are much easier for beginners because you can more easily press the strings into place without extra noise or dead strings. You might want to consider adding a four-string to your collection (you probably will anyway, so you might as well start now).

Practice. Like any instrument, the ukulele sounds better the more you practice at it. Set yourself a regimen of daily practice and you will see a great improvement in a short time. There is no magic bullet, no secret technique aside from practice.

also if you know an easy beginner songs on the 8 string uke..wanna let me know...
Look on the other sections for a two-chord book being complied by another member. Other suggestions are to surf various uke sites for two-three and four-chord songs, especially those with chords in easy configurations like C, Am, G and so on. Sites like Chordie.com allow you to often transpose guitar chords into playable ukulele chords.

But keep in mind that "easy" is relative. Two- and three-chord songs are easier only in the sense that they have fewer chord changes. They may be as complex in rhythm or strumming patterns as any song with more chords.

Again, practice. The ease by which you play any song improves with practice.

thx ah..shoots den
Can't help you there since I can't translate that. Is "shoots den" something to do with new growth on plants? Is "thx ah" an abbreviation of "thicks ahead"? Neither make much sense to me.

And a final suggestion: there's a small, easily overlooked key on the left side of your keyboard marked "Shift." Pressing it before typing will allow you to capitalize a letter. It's amazing how proper capitalization can improve legibility and clarity. Try it next time.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Keyboard-left_keys.jpg/180px-Keyboard-left_keys.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key)

youcrazii
09-13-2009, 10:03 AM
What do you mean by "im freaking get murdered by this plucking sound"? Are you getting dead strings? Buzzing or rattling strings? The former is related to playing style, the latter can be style or neck/action problems.

I have an 8-string Lanikai tenor and don't find it particularly difficult to play, nor any more difficult than any of my four-string ukes, although more care must be given when fingerpicking to be sure the pair is plucked, not just one.

I suggest four-string ukes are much easier for beginners because you can more easily press the strings into place without extra noise or dead strings. You might want to consider adding a four-string to your collection (you probably will anyway, so you might as well start now).

Practice. Like any instrument, the ukulele sounds better the more you practice at it. Set yourself a regimen of daily practice and you will see a great improvement in a short time. There is no magic bullet, no secret technique aside from practice.

Look on the other sections for a two-chord book being complied by another member. Other suggestions are to surf various uke sites for two-three and four-chord songs, especially those with chords in easy configurations like C, Am, G and so on. Sites like Chordie.com allow you to often transpose guitar chords into playable ukulele chords.

But keep in mind that "easy" is relative. Two- and three-chord songs are easier only in the sense that they have fewer chord changes. They may be as complex in rhythm or strumming patterns as any song with more chords.

Again, practice. The ease by which you play any song improves with practice.

Can't help you there since I can't translate that. Is "shoots den" something to do with new growth on plants? Is "thx ah" an abbreviation of "thicks ahead"? Neither make much sense to me.

And a final suggestion: there's a small, easily overlooked key on the left side of your keyboard marked "Shift." Pressing it before typing will allow you to capitalize a letter. It's amazing how proper capitalization can improve legibility and clarity. Try it next time.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Keyboard-left_keys.jpg/180px-Keyboard-left_keys.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key)

lol, sorry brah! Forgot I needed to sound intelligent when speaking to higher authorities. HaHa what i meant by the "getting murder"was theres a plucking noise that constantly kept ringing everytime I tried to strum a chord, but then i figured out how much finger pressure was needed and fixed it.

Yes and i also figured out by going slow and learning the notes was way easier than just trying to run through it and see what would happen.

Well, to tell you the truth. I grew up in Hawaii, so we spoke "pidgin", which is like broken english pretty much. Haha so the phrase "shoots den" means "ok, bye" or just "goodbye" in general. The phase "thx ah" mean "Thank You" and I'm sorry I don't use proper grammar, but that's just the way I am. But "thanx ah" for you concern and I will definitely learn to use more proper grammar when I am speaking to more higher and experienced authories lol, :rotfl:

"shoots den" :nana:

Uke Republic
09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
lol, sorry brah! Forgot I needed to sound intelligent when speaking to higher authorities. HaHa what i meant by the "getting murder"was theres a plucking noise that constantly kept ringing everytime I tried to strum a chord, but then i figured out how much finger pressure was needed and fixed it.

Yes and i also figured out by going slow and learning the notes was way easier than just trying to run through it and see what would happen.

Well, to tell you the truth. I grew up in Hawaii, so we spoke "pidgin", which is like broken english pretty much. Haha so the phrase "shoots den" means "ok, bye" or just "goodbye" in general. The phase "thx ah" mean "Thank You" and I'm sorry I don't use proper grammar, but that's just the way I am. But "thanx ah" for you concern and I will definitely learn to use more proper grammar when I am speaking to more higher and experienced authories lol, :rotfl:

Aww don't worry about yer English. Here in Georgia we have our version of it too.Plus on UU we speak Ukulelese.:rotfl:

wfwhitson
09-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Will I under stood every word you said, and I think I am educated. But than I have a wife and four kids that speak pidgin English. I just looked at it as a chance to learn something new. I don’t get to hung up on proper English or grammar. But I usually get my point across.

youcrazii
09-14-2009, 07:41 AM
lol thank you to all who understood me.:worship: It makes me happy to hear that there is more than one form of 'pidgin" out there. haha yess!

Kanaka916
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Brah, if you like wala'au, go check out dis one (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17603) . . . get enuff local boys if you like tak story. You can brush up on da pidgin too.

youcrazii
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
lol thanx ah uncle..i think every one who questions pidgin should read that link..it helped alot..haha

Spooner
09-18-2009, 10:11 AM
If you want to hear a great sound sample of an 8-string..listen to this: Kanlie'a Tenor 8 String (http://kanileaukulele.com/soundclipVideo_Tenor8String.php?osCsid=8bc67347f06 ee3abcbd82541c960c282)

mailman
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
If you want to hear a great sound sample of an 8-string..listen to this: Kanlie'a Tenor 8 String (http://kanileaukulele.com/soundclipVideo_Tenor8String.php?osCsid=8bc67347f06 ee3abcbd82541c960c282)

Thanks, Spooner....that was beautiful! I'm wondering why the sound clip said "8 string" and the picture was of a six string....:confused:

Some day, some way, I've gotta find a way to get a Kanilea tenor!

Spooner
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Spooner....that was beautiful! I'm wondering why the sound clip said "8 string" and the picture was of a six string....:confused:

Some day, some way, I've gotta find a way to get a Kanilea tenor!

I'm not sure about that..but it's definitely a sound clip of an 8-string. It was that clip that made me go after it. If they're 4 strings are like their 8 strings...which from all I have read they are...then you'll love em!

Kanaka916
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Yea, that's an 8 string sound clip. Listen to the 6 string and you can definetly hear the low A.