shipping costs

d2d

Reaction score
Any advice on shipping a Tenor from coast to coast? I just got quoted $77.22 for UPS Ground!:eek:

Can that be right?

I've been mailing some packages to Europe and I find US Postal Service to be way cheaper. Not that you can compare apples to oranges, but try them. I sent a concert uke to the Virgin islands for 11 dollars via USPS. I thought that was very reasonable. And it got there in less than a week. And it wasn't damaged. (Oh! I'm in Minnesota if that matters.)

USPS almost completely ruined a solidbody I sent (insured over $200) to EricStetson on the forums... I felt so bad for the guy it was an awesome uke when I sent it... had it not been a solidbody it would have almost certainly been completely structurally ruined. Just happens to be my last personal experience with them. Have also had 2 good ones mailing through them, but after that, not again.

"(knock on wood)."

Good tap tone? Solid or laminated?

Ukantor.

I didn't know they had one. Do you have to ask for the info? Or is it like FedEx where it's just automatic on the computer?

Yes you have to ask for it.
Like Deach mentioned, it is totally useless. The best info you can get is it arrived at your Post Office.

Like others mentioned, USPS is the cheapest, but I have to say $77 sounds a bit high, even for UPS.

I suspect the UPS charge includes their packaging services as well.

Whatever you do, do NOT send it USPS Parcel Post. Use whatever MGM uses ... his stuff gets here before I even hit Buy It Now.

The USPS tracking service is part of the "Delivery Confirmation" service....you have to ask for it. We are working hard at improving this service, and I admit we have a ways to go. :eek:

The success or failure of any shipment (as far as damage is concerned) lies in the packaging. Properly packed, your items will arrive safe and sound. You would just not believe how many folks will throw Grandma's antique what-not in an old shoe box with some crumpled newspaper and then get upset when it travels 1000 miles and arrives broken. :rolleyes: That being said, it still pays to purchase insurance on the package. It's dirt cheap, and will cover the investment should there be a problem.

I have worked for UPS, and I currently work for USPS. Believe me when I tell you that the packages get handled the same way by both companies.

I generally agree with the positives about the post office. HOWEVER, I had trouble sending a CD in video case with standard DVD packaging from US to Canada. I think I made a mistake in declaring exactly what was in it (Trainz Railroad Simulator). The package never made it. Instead I received the remains of the original shipping label and a little piece of the cardboard box. The post doesn't automatically insure anything or provide tracking. Both are EXTRA. That brings the price right up to UPS ground, which automatically insures for $100 and provides tracking. The PO did give me free postage on my remailing, but they never explained how my package could have been so totally destroyed. I have a hunch someone stole the contents, but we'll never know. Still, I use PO for a lot of small package mailing. If I were sending a uke I would buy the insurance and tracking.

Top Bottom