tuning a baritone to GCEA

DRANKLIVE

Reaction score
I tuned my baritone to GCEA, am I allowed to do that?

Yep, you can tune it GCEA with a high G or Low g.

MGM has Aquila GCEA sets of strings for baritone.

Oh sorry. Forgot this was the beginners' forum. There's nothing wrong with re-string your bari with a GCEA set of strings.

If you have GCEA strings for baritone, like HoldinCoffee mentioned, it is ok to tune it that way. If you are using regular DGBE baritone strings and tune up that many steps, it will put a good bit of strain on some part of it. When I first started learning, I didn't even know the baritone tuned different than the others so I tuned it GCEA. There is a little separation at the neck and body now. I don't know if it is because of the tension or if it was already that way, but I'm sure that amount of tension wasn't good for it.

I'm not sure if they sell low G strings for a bari. I had to buy a set of gCEA and swap the high g for the low G from a standard bari set of strings. I didn't notice too much of a difference from my tenor though so I'm not sure it was worth the effort. I eventually went back to the standard tuning.

I'm not sure if they sell low G strings for a bari. I had to buy a set of gCEA and swap the high g for the low G from a standard bari set of strings. I didn't notice too much of a difference from my tenor though so I'm not sure it was worth the effort. I eventually went back to the standard tuning.

I agree with Rubbertoe. I too once had a bari and strung it with GCEA strings and placed a non-wound Low-G on it. There was a little difference in the sound being that it had a bigger body than a Tenor, but IMO not worth the effort....unless thats all that you afford right now or you like the little bigger scaled instrument.

Top Bottom