Banjolele of Choice

Susie A

Reaction score
I am really wanting a Banjolele and being a complete Uke rookie I need input.

Who plays one? What brand (?) would you recommend? Any that you would stay away from? Why?

It takes me forever to make a decision, I always have to research first.

So, any info is appreciated!

Susie A

I'd keep an eye on ebay, there have been some sweet vintage ones that have gone for super cheap.

I'd get an old beat up one with a lot of mojo and mystery behind it....but that's just me. how much do you want to spend?

I am a fan of old and beat up :) I have been eyeballing the ones on ebay and EI. I just don't want to end up with something that is not playable out of the box. I am not even remotely lutherly. :p

I don't have a price in mind.

Susie

I am a fan of old and beat up :) I have been eyeballing the ones on ebay and EI. I just don't want to end up with something that is not playable out of the box. I am not even remotely lutherly. :p

I don't have a price in mind.

Susie

The Dixies I've come across are generally pretty good.

The Dixies I've come across are generally pretty good.

Are you referring to the all metal ones? I don't know how I feel about those. Part of the joy of playing (for me) a stringed instrument is the warmness (is that a word) of the wood.

Susie A

Are you referring to the all metal ones? I don't know how I feel about those. Part of the joy of playing (for me) a stringed instrument is the warmness (is that a word) of the wood.

Susie A

Throw it in the oven for a few minutes.

I saw a banjolele pretty much just like mine but I think slightly newer on ebay the other day for $50 with only an hour or so left on the auction. I see them for around $100 all the time. I'm pretty sure mine is a Harmony brand BU. The only marking on it is on the back of the headstock and it says "standard approved". Mine plays great. I love it.

i have a metal dixie banjolele that i got as a birthday gift from a good friend who may or may not wear a pink crown.

pros: lots of frets (17) and it's soprano scale, nice low action, loud, fun to play, can double as a club if you encounter any angry ogres.

cons: old crusty peg tuners take some time to tune, neck is on the thin side so makes chords like Em a little tricky (but that may just be the way i hold the neck when i play). it's cold against the belly when you're not wearing a shirt.

sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1jwtNZmFyg

i also have the Goldtone banjolele deluxe with resonator.

pros: great looking finish, nice thick neck, way loud

cons: maybe a little too loud. can overpower your vocals if you don't shout-sing.

sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyJ9bdrnDY

Another question, what is the difference in a tenor banjo and a banjolele.

Tenor banjos have steel strings while banjoleles have nylon strings...You can get a banjolele in soprano, concert, or tenor scale lengths...I'm not sure about the tuning of a tenor banjo but banjoleles are generally tuned GCEA regardless of scale length...:D

I saw a banjolele pretty much just like mine but I think slightly newer on ebay the other day for $50 with only an hour or so left on the auction. I see them for around $100 all the time. I'm pretty sure mine is a Harmony brand BU. The only marking on it is on the back of the headstock and it says "standard approved". Mine plays great. I love it.

I looked at your YouTube vids and love the sound. Thanks for the information. I will keep a lookout. Not in any hurry so waiting isn't a problem.

Susie A

Last edited:
i have a metal dixie banjolele that i got as a birthday gift from a good friend who may or may not wear a pink crown.

pros: lots of frets (17) and it's soprano scale, nice low action, loud, fun to play, can double as a club if you encounter any angry ogres.

cons: old crusty peg tuners take some time to tune, neck is on the thin side so makes chords like Em a little tricky (but that may just be the way i hold the neck when i play). it's cold against the belly when you're not wearing a shirt.

sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1jwtNZmFyg

i also have the Goldtone banjolele deluxe with resonator.

pros: great looking finish, nice thick neck, way loud

cons: maybe a little too loud. can overpower your vocals if you don't shout-sing.

sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyJ9bdrnDY

Wow .. great information! Thanks. I had looked at the Goldtone and am glad you included the information regarding the thick neck. I have small hands so that may be a con to me.

I won't totally disgard the idea of the Dixie since it does get good sound reviews and like Deach pointed out .. I can put it in the oven :eek:

Susie A

Tenor banjos have steel strings while banjoleles have nylon strings...You can get a banjolele in soprano, concert, or tenor scale lengths...I'm not sure about the tuning of a tenor banjo but banjoleles are generally tuned GCEA regardless of scale length...:D

So, if you found a tenor banjo of the correct length, put nylon strings on it and tuned it to GCEA it would be the same, correct?

Susie A

Top Bottom