Any words bother you?

UKESTAR

Reaction score
Somebody asked me at a restaurant today if I wanted a "soda pop". I have no idea why, but I just don't get it. Soda pop...really? It isn't their fault in any way....just sounds weird to me. I have friends that have issues with certain words too. I guess this would be the what grinds your gears "word" version..ha.

Any words bother you.....or is it just me?

Fishes. My professor was talking about something last night and kept saying that word, and I had to hold myself back from embarrassing her with a correction. But it really got under my skin.

Grammar lesson everyone: There is no such word as 'fishes.' The plural of fish, is fish. Just like the plural of deer is deer, and the plural of sheep is sheep. STOP...SAYING...FISHES!!!

What really annoys me is when people say idear or soder instead of idea and soda....common people, theres clearly no r.

I don't know why... but i REALLY REALLY hate when people refer to coffee as their "java" like... "I need my java"

I'm not a big coffee drinker... but it pisses me the HELL OFF and i don't know why...

"too bad"

i think thats one of the most dh reply. "sorry" would be okay, but asking for something and being told "too bad" pisses me off. expecially in a sassy tone.

Somebody asked me at a restaurant today if I wanted a "soda pop". I have no idea why, but I just don't get it. Soda pop...really? It isn't their fault in any way....just sounds weird to me. I have friends that have issues with certain words too. I guess this would be the what grinds your gears "word" version..ha.

Any words bother you.....or is it just me?

i say soda pop. but i think i got it from a buddy that is from denver. i think "pop" is what they call it out there so it's a regional thing. i think soda pop sounds neat. yes, neat...

Yeah - "Pop" is for the most part an "East Coast" thing. It used to irk me too - but I guess I'm getting used to it. I bet there are some "East Coasters" who are irked that I still say "Soda" and refuse to call it "Pop"! LOL

Fishes. My professor was talking about something last night and kept saying that word, and I had to hold myself back from embarrassing her with a correction. But it really got under my skin.

Grammar lesson everyone: There is no such word as 'fishes.' The plural of fish, is fish. Just like the plural of deer is deer, and the plural of sheep is sheep. STOP...SAYING...FISHES!!!

I think I remember that "fishes" is an actual word that refers to a number of fish that represent different species.

If there are say.....100 goldfish in a tank, it would be "look at all of the fish.."

If there were all sorts of fish in a tank, it would be "look at all of the fishes.."

Last edited:

There ain't no other fishes in my sea girl!!

I think the use of the phrase "what not" is weird. What does that even mean?
I think its annoying when people say "______ is the new ______" like 40 is the new 30 or yellow is the new black.
I hate when people call me at home and ask "are you at home?" or when I answer the phone and people ask me " are you awake?"

Ooh one thing that gets on my nerves is when people use the made up word "irregardless" That's a double negative in one word!

Last edited:
please dont even get me started on this one...
but sine you have let me tell you ...
MINES (not reffering to explosives).. i.e. that soda pop is mines...im sorry but if you are older than 6 and no one has corrected you... FIND NEW FRIENDS!!hahaha
i am just a huge grammar freak... i have the tendency to correct people if they misuse or a word and what not (sorry davo)...
like my dad is the worst... he would be like, "hey bj, i seen your friend last night"
me: "you mean u saw him?"
dad:"no... i seen him"
my need for grammatical correctness is soooo bad that if i am sitting in class and the teacher says something that is incorrect, i HAVE o correct him under my breath..

Yeah - "Pop" is for the most part an "East Coast" thing. It used to irk me too - but I guess I'm getting used to it. I bet there are some "East Coasters" who are irked that I still say "Soda" and refuse to call it "Pop"! LOL

No. No no no no no.

"Pop" is Midwestern.
"Soda" is East Coast.

And in Texas, even Sprite is a "Coke."

Somebody asked me at a restaurant today if I wanted a "soda pop". I have no idea why, but I just don't get it. Soda pop...really?

Where I come from, that would be interpreted as if there was a comma between the two key words, as in "Would you like a soda, pop?"

Or perhaps its just my age :p

Thus endeth my first auspicious post on this forum.

• "hella"
  • "beeyotch"
  • "brah"
  • "let's touch base"
  • "110%"

So....this would be annoying:D

Hey brah, this email is hella funny Seeso. Let's touch base about giving it 110% on your next performance.

Beyotch!

Haaha. Yeh, I know what you are saying Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeso.

Its from familty guy, but its true. It's very annoying when people say:

"A whole nother" of "irreguardless"

Oh also words like studpider or funner. *shrug* I'm kind of an English buff.

Its from familty guy, but its true. It's very annoying when people say:

"A whole nother" of "irreguardless"

Oh also words like studpider or funner. *shrug* I'm kind of an English buff.

LOL nice orlando, you are an english buff!!! 'irreguardless' and 'studpider'

;)

heres more:

Woot!
leet!
Waaazzzaaaaaah!
That's Hot!
That's Sexy! - referring to an inanimate object
Saweet!
Cool beans
Neato!!
He did a 360 - trying to describe someone who is now doing the complete opposite of what he was doing.
Flippin'

Last edited:
I really don't have many words, but i grew up in the midwest and we used 'pop'. I moved down to Tennesse and every kind of soda, pop, whatever you call it is a "coke". I got into many discussions with people about this. So you could go to a restaraunt and order a coke, and they would ask what kind. Answering Sprite, Dr. Pepper, or whatever was ok.

I want a sprite coke please.

Also my mom can't stand the word fart.

Top Bottom