Hawaiian Mele

Kanaka916

Reaction score
K Den . . . I'm doing a spin-off from a previous thread. What are your favorite Hawaiian songs? And if possible, a link to a video and the lyrics. Personally, I prefer these songs with lyrics instead of being instrumentals. Don't get me wrong, I think instrumental versions are great for listening but they do not convey the meaning of song when as when they're done in the Hawaiian language. BTW, "I'll Remember You" was written in English, but there is a version translated in Hawaiian. If anyone is interested, these mele have English translations and can be found here. One more thing, I am not an authority on Hawaiian music so please don't take it as gospel.

The listing below are what I would consider standards as far as Hawaiian music goes. My list will be on my next post. Your list does not have to be traditional only, can be contemporary, jawaiian, slack key, instrumental & ukulele.
  1. Aloha `Oe - Words and music by Queen Lili`uokalani
  2. Ke Kali Nei Au - (Waiting For Thee) Written by Charles A. King
  3. Hawai`i Aloha - Words by Rev. Lorenzo Lyons, Music by James McGranahan
  4. I'll Remember You - Written by Kui Lee
  5. E Ku`u Morning Dew - Words by Larry Kimura, Music by Eddie Kamae

Last edited:
`Auwe! Too many to choose from. I put down my list on the other thread which includes a few standards. Basically, most if not all the songs in He Mele Aloha may be considered Standards and a good place to start.

Here is a short list of my own of songs not including those I put in the other list:
`Ahulili
He Hawai`i Au
papalina lahilahi
e ku`u sweet lei poina`ole
hi`ilawe
kanaka waiwai
maunaloa
e wai`anae
pua hone
ka beauty a `o manoa
nanakuli
ka uluwehi o ke kai
he`eia
`Ulupalakua
`Akaka Falls
kaulana na pua
green rose hula

stop me now!!!!

Last edited:
Hopefully, some of da odda bradahs and sistahs see dis one. I tink would be cool to see what everybody lissen to. Oh and I wen change 'em up l'il bit.

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread, I knew when I started learning the Uke that I would love to build up to be playing traditional songs that relate to the uke.

However, the songs listed seem to be a bit too sad?! They are still fantastic...but when I imagine playing something from Hawaii I imagine a really happy tune with the characteristic feel. It sounds like a bad cliché...but I picture walking onto the beach and lots of lovely ladies in grass skirts putting a Lei over my flowery shirt while a guy plays a really upbeat tune? Am I just an idiot? If I'm not, does anyone know the kind of songs I am picturing?

There are a great number of songs that will fit what you're describing. The songs I listed above was from another thread which I just threw in and everyone from Hawai'i recognizes them right off the bat. You'd be surprised when those songs are being played, live or recorded, they know the lyrics. I'll try and compile a list of upbeat songs which will probably be more contemporary than the traditional ones.

I think my favorite is Puna Ku'u Aloha by Bruddah Kuz.

Here's a couple more:

Henehene Ko'Aka
Kaleohano
Koke'e
E Ala'E
E Huli Makou - No can miss when hawaiians jam
E Wai'anae
He Waiwai Nui
Kawika
Home In The Islands - Not in hawaiian, but makes me think of home no matter where I am.:shaka: Lyrics; FYI: Dis not da Cazimero version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, you guys wen check out this vid, Japanee girl and her name is Izumi. She sing Leo Ha'iha'i style. Gotta lissen.

OK den, I goin staht my list, but goin be one by one . . . . Oh, no stay in any particular ordah. No worries, goin be updated.
  • Pua Lilia - Sunday Manoa; Dis one is classic from one of my favorite albums/group (Sunday Manoa's Crack Seed), Peter's solo, Robert's voice and Roland's guitar. Hahd fo beat. (Lyrics)
  • Nani Kaua'i - Plenne covers of this song about da Garden Isle and written by Lizzie Alohikea. Lyrics can be found here.
  • Lahela Ku'u Poki'i - I tink dis is one of Dennis Pavao's best songs. (Lyrics)
  • E Pili Mai - From the album Cane Fire with Cyril doing the lead vocals. Lyrics by Larry Kimura and Music by Cyril Pahinui. Sorry, couldn't find the PMB version (I prefer that one), Cyril's voice is like buttah. (Lyrics)

Last edited:
All day, no shame, brah! BTW, nice picks . . . gotta have a little slice of home.

I'm trying not to repeat anything already listed, and trying to find good videos:

Wai O Ke Aniani - Ray Kane's version (one of my all time favorites) LYRICS (I think ALL of the recorded versions of this song that I've heard tend to stray from these lyrics, and I'm pretty sure Gabby's version used the chorus from another song)
He Wahine U'i - Gabby Pahinui's version. LYRICS
Lei Ohu - couldn't find a video, but Gabby recorded a good version. LYRICS
Makee Ailana - Cyril Pahinui's version (the audio mix in this video isn't that great, but Cyril's version is still my favorite version of this song). LYRICS
Nani Ka'ala - Cyril Pahinui. LYRICS
Akaka Falls - (I was at this kanikapila, braddah Kamaka Fernandez can sing...). LYRICS
Kilakila Na Roughriders - I can't believe nobody's put Sonny Chillingworth's version on YouTube, oh well. LYRICS
Kaulana Kawaihae - I've seen Palani Vaughan and Cyril Pahinui play this live LYRICS
Holoholo Ka'a - Mike Ka'awa. LYRICS
Noho Pai pai - not my favorite version, but not everybody might have seen this yet - Makaha Sons with Jake Shimabukuro. LYRICS
Kananaka - This is Hoku Zuttermeister and Ioane Burns. I prefer Alea's version, which is a little more upbeat, but I also like Sonny Chillingworth's version - neither of which I could find on YouTube. LYRICS
Pu'uanahulu - This is the best vocal version I could find on YouTube, this guy's YouTube channel has a lot of good traditional Hawaiian songs. LYRICS

Mahalos for da inputs and da extra time fo da links and lyrics. You buggahs wen bring up songs I neva hea fo long time. You guys really No Ka Oi . . . eh Keoni, Iaone's and Hoku's voices blend so well and dey can sing. I get one version of Cyril's Makee Ailana with one slack key intro, just unreal.

Last edited:
... I get one version of Cyril's Makee Ailana with one slack key intro, just unreal.

Yea, that's my favorite version. He does that whole "Gypsy Kings" kinda thing in the intro. I'm actually learning kiho'alu from Cyril, he does monthly workshops at his niece's house in Waimanalo (Gabby's old house). He showed us what he was doing in the intro a couple of times--I end up remembering it for 10 minutes, but by the time the workshop's over we've covered so much that can't even remember the chords (he uses a few minor and diminished chords in the intro)...I gotta find out if I can records some of this stuff, haha

Top Bottom