Old Martin Tenor split in half

eleuke

Reaction score
So here's the final product. What do you guys think? It was a challenge but I'm glad I can get it back to the owner in one piece, at least. It was his grandfathers. That made the job even more nerve racking than it would have been just because it's such a classic. Some kid decided he would use it as a hammer. :wallbash:

Attachments

• Finished-Martin-Tenor.jpg
    Finished-Martin-Tenor.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 81
Dark old Matin ukuleles are classics alright. I inherited one when my mom passed away. Did you add something along the edge? Good job.

Thanks!
No, that's the original. I was lucky enough to save it. It's not Mother of Pearl, it's more like Tortoise Shell. Real Luthiers have a name for it I just don't know what it is. Edging? Binding? Purfling? somethin li'dat...

I came across two busup martin ukuleles at a family reunion on Moloka'i and they both had cracks in the back. Seems pretty common, I don't know what it is about them. But I know these ukes seen a lot of suckum up drinking parties. It showed. One had been taped. Ha!

Taped? Ha! Yeah this one some one had tried to use rubber cement. It took me days to clean it all out. Gooey sticky mess! What some people do I just don't get. This one had a pretty solid back. It was split all the way around the side cause a kid tried to use it as a hammer! Would love to check out the ones you came across. If they want em fixed, I'd love to give it a shot... One thing I do know is that older Martins have a slightly arched back. Not flat like most. If you lay em down and any weight or pressure get's on em, that'll crack em good. Maybe why you seen so many busup with a crack back?

Top Bottom