uke to guitar

RAZZLE

Reaction score
OK,bare with me here.I'll put it in point form for easier reading.
Played uke for 1 yr
want to play guitar
found uke strum pattern easy to pick up eg.dduud
Don't want to be the next hendrix,just strum some easy songs.
Found the mini maton eml/6 size good.
I don't want to fork out the $ if i can't get the hang of it
I HAVE NO PATIENCE,if i can learn some songs quickly i'll be fine.
My questions are,
Am i biting off more than i can chew?
Does anyone have the same misgivings as me?
Any input/tips would be greatly appreciated.
i hope the point form doesn't come across too blunt but i thought that was the easiest way to get my message across
regards,
Razzle

Hi Razzle- sounds like you enjoy playing the Uke. I learned when I was 5 on the Uke and starting playing the guitar at 14 (self taught). The question you have to ask yourself is "Do you have a passion to learn how to play the guitar?" If you have been playing the Uke for awhile the transition over to the guitar would not be that difficult to learn the basics of strumming and chords. If you learn the basic major chords of CGFA on the guitar you can play pretty much any song. I am not going to kid you but it will take patience, sore hands and lots of practice. I know you can do it! Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Aloha!

I have played both ukulele and guitar for over forty years. I still enjoy both since there are some songs that sound better on one instrument or the other. The thing that is funny is that some people want others to play a uke "like a uke" and the guitar does not get that same limitation. What is interesting is that there are a lot of ukulele players that play both instruments in similar fashion. What you gain with guitar is more ability to "walk the neck" playing between chords, more range, more low-end (for obvious reason), more volume, due to size, and a huge assortment of instruments in a reasonable price-range.

IF you stick with Yamaha or other "name" instruments and you decide that guitar is not for you, you can always sell it and get back most of your investment.

Maton guitars are fantastic... hence, the price. Tommy Emmanuel plays one. If you want affordable and smaller-bodied guitars, take a look at the Takemine New Yorker.

Go for it, you've got the basics down, so 2 extra strings ain't going to be that much of a stretch.
And one thing I found, is when you play guitar and then go back to your ukulele, it feels so much easier, plus when you hit a plateau "as we all do" you can have a break from one or the other and still keep playing music.

Mentally speaking, guitar is just a ukulele with an extended range. Many aspects of uke playing will easily translate into the guitar world. The biggest wall you will hit playing guitar will be the extra tension on the metal strings. Expect sore wrists and finger tips like you've never experienced with uke.

Perhaps you should look into classical or electric guitar. You might feel more at home with the nylon strings of a classical or the low tension of light gauge electric guitar strings.

Look into Seagull acoustic guitars, great solid tops for less than a crappy low-end Martin.

thank you all for your time and effort in the reply's.I had a chance to play the LX1E little martin today.Not play as such(i can't)handle for a better word.I loved the size and the sound.Has anyone had the chance to play any of the little martins?In particular the LXK2 KOA?or the LXM JAVA MAHOGANY?your input would be greatly received.So far it has.As UkuEroll put it i will GO FOR IT.Looking forward to your (as always) honest opinions and feedback.
Regards
RAZZLE

every little Martin I've played has been sweet.

So i have gone for it.I ordered my first guitar today.Mini Maton EMS/6.Solid sitka spruce top and solid blackwood back and sides with AP5 pickup.Natural finish.Made just down the highway from where i live.Now i just need to learn how to play it.Should be here in 6 weeks.I'm so pumped!
i feel like my 3 yr old son waiting for christmas.
RAZZLE

So i have gone for it.I ordered my first guitar today.Mini Maton EMS/6.Solid sitka spruce top and solid blackwood back and sides with AP5 pickup.Natural finish.Made just down the highway from where i live.Now i just need to learn how to play it.Should be here in 6 weeks.I'm so pumped!
i feel like my 3 yr old son waiting for christmas.
RAZZLE

The Maton is much better than the little Martin guitars. Nice choice.

How is the axe wielding going?
I am in a similar boat, have been "playing" the uke for a couple of years and the guitar for about 12 months. Have had weekly guitar lessons which has set me in the right direction and got my basic skills correct from the start.
I still found I would always pick up the uke though when lazing around the house, then I found the Yamaha Guitalele which is basically a 3/4 guitar. Now I can lay back watching TV and practice guitar like I do with the uke.
My regular Martin D15 is just so big, great tone and maybe I will need it when I play to a crowded room;).

Top Bottom