i just really don't know about tenors

ukuleG

Reaction score
I've had a tenor kala mango for about 3 weeks and i just can't seem to get use to the difference between concert and tenor and my playing is really sloppy. i really don't know if i should get rid of it or somehow trade it for a concert or smaller, its a bit of a hassle as I'm very short on cash atm, any ideas or tips to maybe help improve.

Try playing some other tenors at a local shop for starters and see if your opinion remains. Also try switching to other strings. If your opinion still remains, you may send the tenor to me so it no longer bothers you. I’m a good friend, I know. :D

If your opinion still remains, you may send the tenor to me so it no longer bothers you. I’m a good friend, I know. :D

Dude, you need help... the UAS is taking over you!

I've had a tenor kala mango for about 3 weeks and i just can't seem to get use to the difference between concert and tenor and my playing is really sloppy. i really don't know if i should get rid of it or somehow trade it for a concert or smaller, its a bit of a hassle as I'm very short on cash atm, any ideas or tips to maybe help improve.
Dude this is very serious...I hate to see someone lose the ability to play, I will make the supreme sacrifice and let you send it to me! I have a barely used Oscar Schmidt concert w/hard case that I would be willing to trade even!
ou5dlfront-1.jpg
ousdlbody-1.jpg

ou5dlback-1.jpg
ou5dlhead-1.jpg

Give it some time... I used to also find it harder to play tenors than Concert but my fingers got use to it :).

its ok i still have another ukulele to play its just my upgrade wasn't so much an upgrade as i just dont seem to like playing it. (thought i would get use to it when i first tried it out.)

What exactly is making it difficult or unsatisfying? Is the action much higher? Do the strings feel "tighter"? Do you have any wound strings on the tenor where you don't on your concert? Is the neck feel much wider? Or is it due to the greater spacing between frets and having to stretch your fingers further?

Some of this stuff you can do something about right away (like action and strings). Some you'll have to get used to and you can over time.

When I first picked up the Ukulele, it was a soprano. After playing guitar all my life, going to something that small was difficult. But I got used to it pretty quickly. Then after getting used to the soprano and getting a tenor a few months later, I found that cumbersome - and had to adjust to all the differences - but now it's no problem.

Ultimately though if you're enjoying your concert and you think the tenor is a hassle, then go in the direction that feels good.

i would say the spacing oh the frets and the strings even though i have my concert strung with aquilas aswell, no wound string.

I would give it more time before deciding it is not for you. I started on guitar so when I played a soprano uke it felt really weird. Now I play ukulele more so when I pick up a guitar it feels strange at first. I think the key is not to over think it, just play and relax and it will become comfortable.

Greetings, I know your pain. I bought a hamano tenor and had the same experience. I put some baritone tuning tenor strings (high d) and been enjoying it heaps for its different range. Give it a try, you might like it.
cheers fergs

I would give it more time before deciding it is not for you. I started on guitar so when I played a soprano uke it felt really weird. Now I play ukulele more so when I pick up a guitar it feels strange at first. I think the key is not to over think it, just play and relax and it will become comfortable.

I agree. Give it some time. (And re the guitar comment above: I played the guitar most of my life. But after a short time with the ukulele (during which I haven't played the guitar at all) when i now pick up a guitar it feels like I'm in the land of the giants - so massive in my hands. Woe! Something that felt like part of me now feels unwieldy.

I play guitar and bass along with ukes (soprano, tenor, bari). After a lot of practicing I can now switch comfortably between them. Thing is, I have to think of them as being different instruments. I have a different approach to soprano than tenor, to tenor than bari, etc.

If you love the sound of that tenor and are determined to get used to it, you might need to put your other ukes away for a while and only play the tenor until you get used to it. Soon enough it will start to feel natural, then you can start switching.

its ok i still have another ukulele to play its just my upgrade wasn't so much an upgrade as i just dont seem to like playing it. (thought i would get use to it when i first tried it out.)

Perhaps if i styarted off on a soprano or concert then I would be saying the same thing.

I started on a tenor and they are all that I feel comfortable playing.
It took some getting used to after playing guitar and bass for so long but I am now playing the uke exclusively....a tenor.

Whenever I play a soprano or concert it feels wrong to me. It would take some getting used to...and I just don't invest the time.

You and I are at opposite ends where uke size is concerned but it would only take a little getting used to is all.

For me...tenors are the megdizzle shizzle nizzle.

I'm surprised to hear that. I play tenor and concert all the time, and I don't even notice the difference, they are so close in size. The answer is as always....just play more, and switch between them more often.

I had a guitar background, and chose a concert for my first uke. I did not find the size difference to be much of a problem. Not long after that I bought a soprano. There's where I really felt a difference size-wise. It felt very cramped at first (although that has diminished some with time).

That experience has lead me to believe I should try a tenor. I still think the concert is okay-sized for me, and the soprano still feels a bit too small....I'm wondering if a tenor would feel "just right". (I'm starting to sound like a uke-centric Goldilocks, here).

Someday I'll get my hands on a tenor to try, and find out if that's what I "need" next....

My .02

Put down the concert for a couple weeks and just play the Tenor get used to it then switch back and forth to really see if it makes a difference.

I'll play a song on the soprano then play the same song on a tenor with out any trouble but it took a while.

My problem is now I am learning to play guitar and man those things are huge and the strings are to close together.

Yah, I too rarely pick up my tenor preferring my sopranos, and concerts. I think I will ban myself from my sopranos, and concerts and give my tenor more time.

I second everything the others said about getting used to it by playing more often. and I would suggest you try different strings. there's a huge difference in the feel when the string tension is not as high as with the aquilas...

what I would not recommend is to just say it's not the fitting thing for you. maybe in a few years you'll get a tenor, play it and think: wow, why didn't I start to play that earlier???^^

you don't "have" to play a tenor if it doesn't suit you. i gave up my tenor long ago and stick to sopranos and concerts now. play whatever you're comfortable with.

This.

It's not required that you play a tenor if you don't like it. Not every instrument or scale is a good fit for everyone. Go with what feels right for you.

Top Bottom