Campanella Style - Classical Uke

Tsani

Reaction score
For those of you who have tried to learn to play classical music from John King's books, you know that he uses a style called "campanella" that makes the ukulele sound like a harp - or bells. The idea is to play each note on a different string so that each note overlays the previous one and the maximum resonance and sustain is achieved from each note. This style originated in the baroque period with lute and guitar and was adapted by John King for the ukulele.

John King was a genius and a virtuoso. I am not.

I have been learning in what I would call a semi-classical style, mostly playing hymns. I combine finger picking and chording to try to produce a melody line accompanied by chords similar to what you would hear a church pianist playing.

I have made several attempts to learn to play the pieces in John King's book and I have to tell you that playing "campanella" style drives me batty. I thought maybe I was just dumb and unteachable... until I read a quote by John King in his obituary in the New York Times.

He said, “The people Bach originally wrote this music for must have been fabulous musicians, because this stuff is really hard to play,” ...“My heart is in my throat whenever I play these pieces in concert.” ... “The truth is it’s a crazy way to play the uke; ease of execution is all but sacrificed, subordinated to whatever it takes to get that shimmering, harplike sound. It works for me, because when I play it that way, the ukulele sings.”

OK... so now I understand. John King was a college professor of classical guitar -the foremost classical ukelele player in the world - and he said himself that the campanella style was extremely hard to play. I'm not saying that I give up, but I would like to learn to play classical ukulele in a more standard manner.

I have found several sources on the internet helpful. I am giving Jamie Holding's arrangements a try.

If there is anybody else out there that is struggling along this road, I would appreciate any comments - and especially sources for classical tabs that are not in the campanella style.

I revere the memory of John King, but as Clint Eastwood said, "A man has got to know his limitations."

I agree, I have played finger style guitar for a long time (not proper classical technique, more of a folk/ blues style) and I love the way John King's arrangements sound when he plays them but I find learning them to be rather awkward and frustrating. I am not going to give up, but please share any links you have found for easier classical ukulele. There is a version of Bach's Minuet in G in the Finger style Solos for Ukulele book I have that I have not tried yet, I have learned some other songs from this book and they were fairly easy so I think I will try that next then work my way up to the John king stuff.

OK... so now I understand. John King was a college professor of classical guitar -the foremost classical ukelele player in the world - and he said himself that the campanella style was extremely hard to play. I'm not saying that I give up, but I would like to learn to play classical ukulele in a more standard manner.

I agree. I just ordered and received John King's Classical Uke book. I was a guitar player before a Uke player and I find the campanella style difficult and unnatural. I was working yesterday on a song from that book and decided to use his tabs as a guide, but not necessarily a literal one. In most cases, I'd rather stick with what feels more natural and allows me to interject more feeling into the music - and what provides me more enjoyment. Ultimately I get that my uke won't ring out in the same way as if I played the songs literally, but I'm ok with that. (I only have so much free time to learn new pieces.)

I have printed out most of Wilfried Welti's ukulele e-book, which is a free download by the way.

http://http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf

Jamie Holding has some arrangements for free, and also a couple of e-books for a nominal charge. I am considering purchasing his book of Dowland tabs.

I cannot seem to access his old website at the moment, but I will post the link later.

For anyone struggling with campanella technique it may help to know that this style of interpretation was mainly the work of 20th century classical guitarists. It has little to do specifically with the performance of classical music.

The technique was used in a limited fashion by baroque guitarists in order to make the fingering of certain passages easier (not more difficult!). It appears very seldom in lute music.

So by all means feel free to adapt the fingerings in transcriptions and arrangements of classical music. After all the most important thing is to be able to play a piece musically and expressively.:)

I have printed out most of Wilfried Welti's ukulele e-book, which is a free download by the way.

Jamie Holding has some arrangements for free, and also a couple of e-books for a nominal charge. I am considering purchasing his book of Dowland tabs.

I cannot seem to access his old website at the moment, but I will post the link later.
Welti's book has some really good stuff in it. :)

Here's Jamie Holding's site:

http://sites.google.com/site/classicalukulelearrangements/

tim0g's site has a few nice pieces:

http://ukucafe.wordpress.com/

A few more (Aguado, Sor, Ravel):

http://ukuleledav.web.officelive.com/arnauddtabs.aspx

Here is a corricted lint.

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf

hhmm...

I am working through John's book as well but I don't think it is as hard as you report. But I do admit that so far I can only pull off the easier pieces in the book and even for those I would get a simple OK.

To learn these songs you have to outright just play them so many times that you memorize the music. If you need the notation to know the next note its not going to sound right. And the classic advice to focus on only a few notes at a times was never truer than with this stuff.

For the really acrobatic phrases you will need to take his suggestions for the left hand fingering very seriously.

And one other things that I think makes a big difference: I'm learning these songs on a soprano. I couldn't imagine doing them on a tenor.

But hey, I may be in denial. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable playing any of them in front of an audience.

Thanks for all the links. Keep them coming!

I found John King's book a bit difficult at the beginning, but since I have been playing uke now for about 6 months, I am finding these songs a little easier to approach. And, some of those awkward double notes on different strings has made me revise a few parts to make it easier. Sometimes it just makes more sense to alternate fingers on the same string, especially if the song is fast. John King was totally a master, and I wish I had his talent and skill. But, I don't, and so I will do what I can with what I have. Listening to his CD helps a lot too.

So, if a song seems a little too hard now, try it again in a few months. You may be surprised.

–Lori

For anyone struggling with campanella technique it may help to know that this style of interpretation was mainly the work of 20th century classical guitarists. It has little to do specifically with the performance of classical music.

The technique was used in a limited fashion by baroque guitarists in order to make the fingering of certain passages easier (not more difficult!). It appears very seldom in lute music.

So by all means feel free to adapt the fingerings in transcriptions and arrangements of classical music. After all the most important thing is to be able to play a piece musically and expressively.:)

I agree 100% !
I played the Gavotte II arrangement by John King (on his site) but after a while made my own arrangement that is easyer to play and works well musically too.
Campanellas is just a technic used principally in baroque guitar (Sanz, Murcia...) and also on some german baroque lute pieces (Kellner, Weiss...)
But it is interesting on the uke too, and sometimes not so hard to play, see Sanz arrangements by Rob MacKillop at www.fingerstyleUke.com

Val :)

I've written a few books of ukulele music, some of it in a campanella style. It is hard. I think it grows on you, and some patterns become much more natural over time. One of its main uses is to play scales with more sustain, so certain scale shapes are an idiomatic part of campanella. If you go to my website, my latest book of compositions is free. It's the first one: The Gratis Etudes. It has some campanella stuff in it ranging from easy-ish to a bit harder-ish. There's nothing too death defying. :)

And if you have any questions, I can answer them. The first 3 etudes are up on YouTube (or in the Videos section here), so you can compare fingering. Was hoping to have more up by now, but it's hard to find any time to do videoing.

John

Thanks for your fine work, John! I am especially excited to see that you have written some duets. I am working on duets now with my son using Rob McKillop's Bach book. I think I am going to try out your compositions, including your etudes! Thanks for what you are doing for the ukulele community, especially those of us on the classical end of the lagoon. Blessings and peace to you. :shaka:

I don't have a minute to read all the posts yet, but I soon discovered I liked listening to his CD more than I enjoyed playing the pieces!

Wow, I knew baroque sounded difficult to play, but I had no idea JK's style was so complicated...Lori, 6 months, seriously, and you're tackling baroque? Wow, I been playing over 2 years and NO WAY am I ready....I am struggling with Iz's strum pattern for White Sandy Beach....my poor left hand is so sore from holding those chords.....I really hate that Bbm....argh!

Thanks for your fine work, John! I am especially excited to see that you have written some duets. I am working on duets now with my son using Rob McKillop's Bach book. I think I am going to try out your compositions, including your etudes! Thanks for what you are doing for the ukulele community, especially those of us on the classical end of the lagoon. Blessings and peace to you. :shaka:

Thanks, Tsani! (wondering where the Labyrinth of Cubes is.............)

I'm in the middle of learning this campanella style too.
I'd like to know where i can find books about this style ?
Also im really new to uke (been playing for a month) should i just take it slow ? Ive been trying to play the bouree, but the octave part will take some time trying to figure all the notes right. Im frustrated.

...Lori, 6 months, seriously, and you're tackling baroque? Wow, I been playing over 2 years and NO WAY am I ready....I am struggling with Iz's strum pattern for White Sandy Beach....my poor left hand is so sore from holding those chords.....I really hate that Bbm....argh!
Don't despair, I had a head start with 3 years of classical guitar lessons... back in my teenage years. Even though I hadn't been playing consistently all these years, it seems to help. My hands get sore too... so that is why it is ukes all the time now and hardly any guitar.
–Lori

Top Bottom