DIY Cigar Box Ukulele Classes

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started scheduling some "How To" classes in the local area including one at the local WoodCraft. I have a few lined up, but was considering traveling to any locale if people were wanting to learn. Classes generally run $300 per student (materials included). I can teach how to build ukuleles, mandolins, and dulcimers all with cigar boxes...with the obvious focus here on ukuleles. I think its fair considering its a lifetime of joyous instrument building and a good gateway into professional luthiery.

I've been laid off for 8 months with 3 kids and a stay at home wife so I am exploring any option at the moment. My offer is this...if anyone would like to host a class in your area, I will offer this to you free of charge if you guarantee a few paying students (number depends on distance travelled but I aint picky right now cuz I'm about flat busted). I can provide all materials, but we may have to discuss some tool sharing for obvious reasons. It is a project that can be done for a small group over a Friday night and Saturday, but that is also flexible.

So...if you have a big garage, shed or facility where you think you could host and would like to learn. You would be doing me a HU---GE favor, and I would count it as a blessing to be able to support my family doing something like this...even if its just short term until I can secure employment.

post comments and send messages -

BUMP - This is a great idea, especially if you can do it nearby. Have you thought of local adult education classes in your school system? I did that a few years ago when I was laid off. I put together a nice letter explaining my background/expertise and faxed it to the schools that offered the classes I could teach (guitar/drums/computers). Within a month I got a call from one where the guitar instructor had to back out and I took over the class. I ended up teaching in five different schools and at one point was doing it three nights a week. Even when I found a full time job I kept the classes but backed out over time.

Maybe a local music store would have you do ukulele clinics. Keep thinking of ideas like that. Hey, how about local flea markets? you might do lessons/CBU demos right there.

I'd have you down here if I had a garage, tools, money and time!

Thanks brudda...I appreciate it. I got a few things lined up, but some wont happen until spring next year. The WoodCraft deal may become regular and maybe it will branch out to different semi-local stores. I'm going to be teaching a class through the local steel mill, and that is just one mill site networked among 6 other mill sites, each with their own budget and program. So I'm hoping that might take off, but as you can imagine, the steel industry is in the toilet, so some programs are running more than others. Either way, I think I'll eventually come across the right people to get some gigs this way.

I emailed a bunch of local colleges and high schools last night, but it'll be a while till I hear back I imagine. I just think it'd be superfun to travel, teach, and meet everybody.

I wanna thank everyone for their responses of support...feel free to leave a comment as well as it helps keep the thread up.

I appreciate everyone's support...let me know what you think of the idea and dont hesitate with any questions. Shoot I'd have done this when if it was offered to me prior to learning myself.

Hey Cornfed,

Maybe you can contact some people arranging ukulele festivals, maybe they would want to have a workshop there. Even International. Try those guys in Melborne. Ever been to Australia?

I kind of dont think coming over to Italy is very feasible, since I am the only one in my town who plays ukuleles, and I build them too.

But good luck with your adventure, I think you are onto something.

Take care,
Thomas

never been to Australia, and cant imagine complaining if I ever got the chance.

Its a good idea, I'll be more mindful in looking for festivals etc. I'd like to think something like this would work, but so far its not:) I'll just keep contacting people and see what happens

Top Bottom