Uke got mail ep37.5: Uke got… no uke?

Just a comment on using picks. Aldrine mentioned in the video in response to the question on using aluminum picks, "try using plastic picks, they should be the same right?" Having played guitar with a pick for many years I can say from experience that aluminum picks do not feel anything like plastic picks. I have played using nylon picks, delrin picks, ultex picks, metal picks, etc. of various thicknesses, shapes and sizes and the size, shape, thickness, etc. of a pick can make a huge difference in how they feel to the person as well as the sound that is made when it hits the strings.

^ agree. Ukulele should be the instrument for the fingers ;) where as gats u got picks, violin, you have that stick with a string (lol) drums you have the sticks. etc

Well, I agree that using a pick with an ukulele just sounds weird to me. Just saying that as far as picks are concerned there is definitely a difference in using an aluminum pick vs. a plastic / tortoise shell / delrin / ultex / nylon / (insert material here) pick. :eek:ld:

....Just saying that as far as picks are concerned there is definitely a difference in using an aluminum pick vs. a plastic / tortoise shell / delrin / ultex / nylon / (insert material here) pick. :eek:ld:

I am pretty sure Aldrine knows that. Just saying.

Haha, yeah, even I cringed a little when I heard him say "they should be the same, right?" ... you could almost hear the comments a-commin'.

deach is right, though - Aldrine doesn't have an opinion on picks mostly because he never uses them. Neither do most ukulele players (and out of those who do use picks, most uke players opt for felt). But if you want to use picks on your uke, by all means, go for it!

The real concern that wwcnd74 had was about whether or not his aluminum pick would cut his strings or cause them to break. The answer to that question is: as long as your aluminum picks don't have sharp edges and as long as you're not effectively trying to slice through your strings while you strum, your strings should be fine.

However, everyone should have a backup set of strings or two because strings can break at any time, based on normal wear and tear, whether you are using a pick or not. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom