Body Language and Uke Playing

Citrus

Reaction score
So I've been trying to add a little more zing to my performances and I noticed for the most part I just sit and play, usually with my eyes on the fretboard because I'm new to performing in front of crowds and I'm so nervous I have to look where my fingers are going. But I noticed that a lot of uke players (or any musicians) have a lot of body movement during their shows.
I was wondering what kind of stuff you do, what kind of stuff you guys like, and what you don't like and how I should I guess "practice" it. I'm trying to incorporate some slight leaning forward or backward and letting the crowd see my face from time to time. I do like seeing people use body language but some of the stuff like the jake shimabukuro head bang is a little much for me and I feel that overdoing it can really detract from a performance. Any thoughts?

I was wondering what kind of stuff you do, what kind of stuff you guys like, and what you don't like and how I should I guess "practice" it.

What I like is Authenticity. And the thing is: it is not something that can or needs to be practiced.

Let your body move in ways it feels moved to do, by what you're playing or singing. Whether a little or allot, it will look good to the audience, if it looks like you're feeling it and mean it.

i try and mix the robot into my ukulele playing.

hehe, attempting to try that right now.

kmetzger,
I agree with what you're saying but I'm not sure I can do that right off the bat, naturally I just curl up into a little uke playing ball and don't move much. I think it might be like dancing, doing what you feel goes with the music is great but having some "moves" to go off of doesnt hurt, and you don't wanna bust into the macarena when you're playing some bruddah iz, also I just listened to your music and its great!

hehe, attempting to try that right now.

kmetzger,
I agree with what you're saying but I'm not sure I can do that right off the bat, naturally I just curl up into a little uke playing ball and don't move much. I think it might be like dancing, doing what you feel goes with the music is great but having some "moves" to go off of doesnt hurt, and you don't wanna bust into the macarena when you're playing some bruddah iz, also I just listened to your music and its great!

I see what you're saying. But ya know, Miles Davis was so far off one end of the spectrum that he often played with his back to the audience. So not sure there's anything wrong with how you currently are doing it. (I've always found that what attracts me to a performing artist is the degree to which they seem to be involved/engaged even lost in what they're playing/singing. The amount of passion and spontaneity in their playing and singing. This can be done sitting still or with great movement.)

I'm not the best one to ask about this, if you really do want some moves. My best advice if you find it hard to do anything but be curled up as you said is to think about it like you're having a conversation with someone. You'd want to be facing them, you'd want to make eye contact at appropriate times, you'd want your body posture/language to be "open", etc.

(And thanks for your kind words about my music.)

I like this Authenticity, too; where can I buy some?

I am no performer, but the one time I have performed, I looked people in the eyes, like I do when I'm teaching a class.

I find that I get a realy serious, stupid, concentrating, spacey face when I play... I honestly don't feel like performers are required to move a lot when they play, but I really do appreciate it when I see someone whose face at least looks engaged in the music (smiling, or feeling some level of emotion, rather than seeming, well... for lack of a better word... "robotic"). That said, I think a certain level of movement comes with comfort with what you're playing, and will come almost naturally, if you give a little bit on conscious thought.

If you have access to a video camera, why not record yourself playing for person reference? Or practice in front of a mirror?

When ever I'm playin a song with chunkin, i'll throw in some style when i do the chunk cause you don't need to dedicate that much attention to a chunk so you was pay attention so lookin supa fly

Usually preformers don't really plan to move they way they do. Their bodies just move like that because they are really into the music. Over time you will gain that similar feeling when you are playing. you really dont even know your moving, your just playing haha. It just feels natural.

As stated above: smile. Even if you are as still is a tree, if you have a grin on your face you will make the crowd feel more at ease. I like to think "I know something you don't" kind of thing or of some funny moment. It helps if you have someone to play with who you can interact with. Watch guys like Ledward Kaapana and Mike Ka'awa. The instant you see somebody performing smile, you feel more involved with the music.

I just curl up into a little uke playing ball and don't move much
Well, for starters you could try to sit up straight and open up. Practice hard and when a piece comes up your fingers can do by themselves, take a look around and enjoy the atmosphere. It will make you feel more at home and the people watching will enjoy it more. But hunching over your uke is not very attractive for people to look at.
Probably better not to go doing stage antics or anything. The robot suggestion is pretty cool though, and I remember a video where seeso moonwalks. A little Pete Townshend for the chorus and bam! you are a rock star.

What I like is Authenticity. And the thing is: it is not something that can or needs to be practiced.

Let your body move in ways it feels moved to do, by what you're playing or singing. Whether a little or allot, it will look good to the audience, if it looks like you're feeling it and mean it.

I've got to agree with kmetzger. An audience can sense a phoney. Be real and honest. You can't rehearse stage presence. Let it come out naturally through your interaction with the music, your fellow performers and your audience.

I've tried to watch videos of a young lady (whose name escapes me....) who is an absolutely phenomenal ukulele player. I can't watch, because I can't get past her phoney stage manner. Talented? You bet! Pretty? Sure thing. But she looks as if she has choreographed every move she makes on stage. I find it to be off-putting. I'd rather watch her sit and play while watching the fretboard. At least that way I could enjoy her music....

ive been watching these two videos that aldrine put up pretty closely today and i think its pretty pertinent to this discussion. im talking about his bodysurfing videos.

this one if from a ktown heroes performance with jake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ry...F68583A94&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

and this is the one he put up of just himself

http://www.youtube.com/user/ukuleleoversoul#play/all/uploads-all/1/OKzQ4LN4ZTM

in the first he has crazy body language and movement the whole time and in the second he is basically still aside from his head shaking.

not to harp on the authenticity bit, but thats what both of these performances have. two completely opposite performances of the same song but theyre both equally impressive and fun and interesting to watch.

Last edited:
I agree and disagree with what's been said.

An audience can sense a phoney. Be real and honest.

Very true - if you're doing something that you don't believe in, it's likely to show.

BUT......

You can't rehearse stage presence.

Sure you can. There's nothing inherently "natural" about playing a musical instrument while singing. It's a learned skill. And you absolutely can learn to develop A) awareness and B) control of how you look while you're doing it.

As audience members, we like to hold onto the illusion that Mick Jagger just naturally walks and pouts that way, Rod Stewart's hair looks like that when he rolls out of bed, and the guys in Bruce Springsteen's band just walk on stage in whatever they were wearing that day. But it's simply not the case. It took planning, decision making and effort to seem so "effortless" onstage.

If you're serious about performing, you can - and I'd argue, you probably should - put as much effort into your performance style as you do into learning how to play the notes and chords in your songs. Music is a performing art. And performance - just like learning to sing or play an instrument - is something you get good at through focused thought and practice.

My two cents, based on a 20+ year music career.

Just play to them. Hard to describe, but don't sweat too much of it. Just be honest, sing the song the way you feel it. The rest follows.

Head up does help, but I don't agree with the "smile" advice. I play some bleak, sorrowful stuff. Smile only if you feel it.

As stated above: smile. Even if you are as still is a tree, if you have a grin on your face you will make the crowd feel more at ease. I like to think "I know something you don't" kind of thing or of some funny moment. It helps if you have someone to play with who you can interact with. Watch guys like Ledward Kaapana and Mike Ka'awa. The instant you see somebody performing smile, you feel more involved with the music.

I agree 100% with the smile. I always seem to catch myself smiling at certains parts of a song, usually when the lyrics mean something special to me or during a particularly fun part to play. I don't move around as much as I probably could, but then again I usually play sitting in an executive leather desk chair with two very imposing arm rests. But a look at the right people with a smile on your face always makes people smile in return... smiling is contagious! :)

Something else to keep in mind is that the ukulele lends itself to a more fun, friendly performance. Being hunched over separates a player from the audience while also making it hard to sing.

Unless you are trying to set a mood - as you might with wearing a hat - staying engaged is better. Besides, if you connect with them and make a mistake they'll be more forgiving.

The trend in popular music has generally been toward 'high enery' performance. To my view, the aural half of performance is still way more important than the visual half. I find too much 'enery' to be distracting. Sometimes when watching TV or seeing a live show, I have to just close my eyes to really hear the music... Not from being ecstatic mind you, but to just close out the distracting parts. Of course no two people respond to music the same way, but that is the way I react...

Top Bottom