Newbie - first Uke is a Mitchell MU-100 - need help

kjmphoto

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to the forums here. It looks like there is a ton of cool info, videos, etc. about ukes. I usually do a lot of research before buying anything. However, I just got a uke without doing any research.

My wife wanted to get me one for my 30th birthday, but had no clue where to start. So she decided to let me go with her to pick one out. I'm a guitar player, and didn't know anything about ukes. So we went up to Guitar Center.

They had just a few choices, and we narrowed it down to the Mitchell MU-70 & Mitchell MU-100, based on price and size. They both sounded comparable to me, based on my limited experience with ukes. So it just boiled down to looks at that point, and my wife loved the looks of the MU-100. It is a beautiful instrument, I give her that.

I've had it a few days, and like it. It has a nice tone, good volume, and good action. The biggest complaint I have so far is that it doesn't stay in tune for very long. I still have the stock strings on it, though, and I have read on these forums that they are garbage. So that could be a big part of it.

I just picked up some D'Addario J53 black nylon strings. I haven't strapped them on the uke yet, because I'm curious what you all think about the strings before I stretch them out? Should this cure my tuning problem? Does anyone have experience with the MU-100 and these strings? Are there other strings that would sound better on this uke, like the Worth strings? Should I keep the MU-100, or is there another beginner uke out there that sounds better for the same price or less (we paid around $170, I think)?

Thanks in advance!

I almost bought that one myself but ended up liking the Oscar Schmidt OU5 better and they were both listed at the same price, one at Sam Ash one at GC.

The Grover tuners and sweet sound were already tipping the scales on behalf of the OU5 and then when I told them I was considering the MU100 at another store, it magically came down in price. Cha-ching!

I had to travel to a city nearby for music stores and even found ukuleles at Best Buy. At the time didn't know there was a small uke store in the area. Now I do, next time I buy new, I"ll go there!

Enjoy embarking on a new adventure!

Thanks

Patty,

Thanks for sharing. So far, I've had a lot of fun with the uke. Being a guitar player, it's a very different feel, and something fun and new.

First, welcome to U.U.!!! Glad you are here!

Have a blast with your new uke. I am a believer in the theory that the best uke is the one you love and play the most! However....

Could you get something better in that price range? Possibly....the best thing to do would be to contact MGM, which stands for Music Guy Mike through his ebay store. Unless you have a good uke store near you, connecting with Mike, who ships worldwide, will set you up with the very best uke for your money. He is on these boards all the time and is honest and cares about this community. I've NEVER heard a bad word from anyone who has dealt with Mike, myself included. Tell Mike what your budget and your needs are and he will recommend a uke that will sing!

Here is his store....
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room__W0QQ_armrsZ1

However, if you keep your uke, changing the strings is a good place to start. I have used the DiAddario strings and I like them. It is personal taste that wins out here. Strings are cheap so try a few out.

As far as tuning, it is common for uke strings to take some time to stretch and settle in. I have found that some strings take much longer than others....sometimes up to a week of tuning a couple times a day!! Other strings have settled in quickly for me (such as Aquila). The good news is that uke strings usually last much longer then guitar strings!

Hopes that helps! Keep coming back and keep playing!

I'd give the D'Addarios a go as you have them. You could always try out a set of Worths if the D'Addarios don't shape up ok. Worths are my favourite strings now.

One thing you'll get used to is the annoying fact that new ukes and ukes with new strings often need frequent retuning for a couple of weeks or more until the strings stretch out and stabilise.

EDIT: Apologies, I meant to add - Welcome to UU!

Last edited:
Ryan & Buddhu

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I'll probably keep the stock strings on the uke for a few more days to see what I can get out of them. Then I'll throw on the D'Addario J53.

Like I said, I like the uke so far. I just want to make sure I didn't buy it for looks alone, and that it is something I can grow into it. It's not the most expensive uke, obviously, but it's not the cheapest either. So I want to make sure I got my money's worth.

Thanks again.

I've got an mu-100 right now, it's a nice instrument but the heavy lamination really cuts the volume. I've used the stock strings, aquila's, and pro-artes. Right now I'm on the pro-artes and they're pretty good, nothing special. The Aquila's were the ones I liked the most because they kind of grip your fingers and whats more important is they have more volume. They also don't go out of tune nearly as easily as pure nylon.

Mahalo Kjmphoto

Glad you are here at UU. This is a great place to network and meet friends. I don't know much about the Mitchell. I have a concert Lanikai and a soprano Kamaka and I like them both. But I have been playing the Lanikai a whole lot more lately. It is the cheaper uke of the two that I have. As a beginner uke it sounds like you made a good choice. Uke strings need time to settle in. I put some ghs strings on my lanikai recently because that's all I had till I get to the music store and it took a good few days for it to stretch out. My next strings that I am going to purchase are D'Addarios for my uke. I have D'Addarios on my guitar and I like them alot. Here are a couple of sites I use to find songs.

http://ukulele.nl/
http://chordie.com/

My favorite strings are Fremont Flurocarbons. Just test out different ones if you have a chance, different strings suit different instruments/players.

Thanks for the perspective

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I haven't had time to play the uke (or any instrument) the past few days. We've been putting stuff in a POD, getting ready for a move...not fun. Anywho, I'll probably pick up the uke tonight and give her another spin.

I'll be back. Thanks again.

Why laminate?

Hello All,

I do have one question. What is the purpose of laminate if it degrades the sound of an instrument? Is it only for looks and protection from the elements?

Laminate is less expensive than solid wood. As you say, it's also less vulnerable to changes in temperature and humidity.

Laminate specs?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know in what respect the Mitchell MU-100 is Koa wood? Would it be the outside layer, the inside layer, neither? And speaking of laminates, is there any need for a humidifier?

Thanks.

New strings usually won't stay in tune for very long. It took mine a couple of months before they settled down. Laminates typically do not need humidifiers. As for another uke that sounds "better" around the price you paid - I have never played or heard your instrument, but I think Flea Ukuleles are great and so do a lot of other people. I got mine for $146 new, I think they are usually $169 for the base model.

In response to what part is Koa, it would be the outer most layer of the uke because Koa is such a visually beautiful wood and it sells uke's because people do like a uke to be made of a Hawaiian wood.

One thing I have read in some places is that Koa isn't always a top choice in regards to being the best "tone wood". However, I have no knowledge in this area other then hearing how my Koa, Mahogany, and Lamanite ukes sound to my uneducated ear.

Thanks...

ukulelehoo,

A couple months?! Wow! I'm a steel string guy, being a straight acoustic guitar player for a while now. So I don't have much experience with nylons, aside from the occasional playing of a classical guitar.

As for my Mitchell, I don't dislike it. I have no experience with ukes. So I just want to make sure I won't be regretting my choice a month or 2 from now. I still have the stock strings on there, and wanted to allow them to settle a bit, so I could better judge the intonation, etc. I have to say that according to my tuner, it's pretty darn good all the way up the neck.

We'll see how things develop over the next week or so.

Ryan,

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured...that the Koa would be the outside layer.

Time for new strings...

I've been messing around some more with my Mitchell MU-100. I like the action on it, but the more I play it, the duller it sounds. I think I will put the d'addario J53 strings on it tomorrow. I keep putting it off, because I know it will just take more time for these strings to settle in. The stock GHS strings are close to that point it seems, but they don't do much for the uke.

This may be a dumb question, but I've never had to do this before. If I put the d'addario strings on tomorrow, and play them for a bit...then decide I'm still not real happy with the Mitchell, and decide to return it...could I take off the d'addario strings, and use them on my next uke?

The fact that I'm even talking about this makes me believe I will probably return the Mitchell, but we'll see what the d'addario strings can do for it.

Thanks.

I guess it takes time for the Nylon to stop stretching. After they finished stretching, they don't really get out of tune anymore even after 1 year. I should probably change strings. lol

You can probably take the strings off and reuse them, just don't cut the excess string. However, how are you going to get the old stock strings back on the uke before you return it? May be difficult if they've been cut.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Ukulelehoo,

I thought about that...that it will be tricky to put the stock strings back on the uke if I return it. I don't know if Guitar Center will take it back if I can't get the original GHS strings back on. I would think they would, but do I want to take the chance.

Top Bottom