MI SI pickup?

evanL777

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about the MISI pickup. Does it require batteries? I guess what Im asking in general is, active or passive. Please answer as if you were talking to someone without any experience. i really dont kow anything about amplifying ukes.

Last edited:
Active. No batteries. It uses a supercapacitor that you charge for a minute from a transformer, then gives you hours of playing time. You can even charge from a 9V battery in a pinch. Lots of good reviews.

Here are a couple of pics, shown with a Baggs element. Good choice IMO. I've installed a couple dozen of these so far with no complaints.

Attachments

• misi3.JPG
    misi3.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • misi 2.jpg
    misi 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
  • misi4.jpg
    misi4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
I gotta get me one of those.

Heck, I might even replace the Ribbon Transducer system in my Taylor with one too.

Someone with a lot of know-how should write a sticky for this forum all about amplifying ukuleles. I'd love to learn more about it. I've read all the jargon, but don't understand it all.

-Passive or active? Not a clue what that means.

-Stick-on, under-bridge, surface mount, internal, external?

-Feedback? I know it can be an issue, but how....and why?

-Batteries? What for?

Can someone help us noobs out by writing Uke Amplification 101?

Someone with a lot of know-how should write a sticky for this forum all about amplifying ukuleles. I'd love to learn more about it. I've read all the jargon, but don't understand it all.

-Batteries? What for?

Start with this article from Live Ukulele. Maybe nukedoc or RicDoug can put together something and I know there are numerous other posts about amplification. You can run a search using transducers, pickups as key words.

Thanks for the link! I found that to be VERY helpful. We should have information like that available as a sticky for all of us who don't know about electrified instruments.

Thanks again for the help!

Another question....

Which would be preferred? The Kala flame maple tenor with factory pickup for $239? Or the same instrument without the pickup ($179) but with the MiSi trio added ($109 plus installation)after the fact?

in an active pickup do you have to switch the batteries or it rechargeable. Is there a special kind of amp for ukes or can I use a guitar amp?
Also, is there a major difference in sound between active and passive pickups?

Last edited:

-Batteries? What for?

I don't know if it's of any help, but I just knocked this together. Still needs a bit of work, but I hope it'll be of some use.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208429#post208429

:)

Top Bottom