PDA

View Full Version : MI SI pickup?

evanL777
09-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about the MISI pickup. Does it require batteries? I guess what Im asking in general is, active or passive. Please answer as if you were talking to someone without any experience. i really dont kow anything about amplifying ukes.

hoosierhiver
09-12-2009, 09:57 AM
GC wrote a good review.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17027

bbycrts
09-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Active. No batteries. It uses a supercapacitor that you charge for a minute from a transformer, then gives you hours of playing time. You can even charge from a 9V battery in a pinch. Lots of good reviews.

Captain_Lovehandles
09-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Mine works and sounds great. But then it's in a Mainland, so it oughtta.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Here are a couple of pics, shown with a Baggs element. Good choice IMO. I've installed a couple dozen of these so far with no complaints.

RevWill
09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I gotta get me one of those.

Heck, I might even replace the Ribbon Transducer system in my Taylor with one too.

wfwhitson
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Will I guess now I know what to buy.

mailman
09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Someone with a lot of know-how should write a sticky for this forum all about amplifying ukuleles. I'd love to learn more about it. I've read all the jargon, but don't understand it all.

-Passive or active? Not a clue what that means.

-Stick-on, under-bridge, surface mount, internal, external?

-Feedback? I know it can be an issue, but how....and why?

-Batteries? What for?

Can someone help us noobs out by writing Uke Amplification 101?

Kanaka916
09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Someone with a lot of know-how should write a sticky for this forum all about amplifying ukuleles. I'd love to learn more about it. I've read all the jargon, but don't understand it all.

-Batteries? What for?

Start with this article (http://liveukulele.com/gear/amplifying-your-ukulele/pickups/) from Live Ukulele. Maybe nukedoc or RicDoug can put together something and I know there are numerous other posts about amplification. You can run a search using transducers, pickups as key words.

mailman
09-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the link! I found that to be VERY helpful. We should have information like that available as a sticky for all of us who don't know about electrified instruments.

Thanks again for the help!

mailman
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Another question....

Which would be preferred? The Kala flame maple tenor with factory pickup for $239? Or the same instrument without the pickup ($179) but with the MiSi trio added ($109 plus installation)after the fact?

evanL777
09-13-2009, 10:09 AM
in an active pickup do you have to switch the batteries or it rechargeable. Is there a special kind of amp for ukes or can I use a guitar amp?
Also, is there a major difference in sound between active and passive pickups?

buddhuu
09-13-2009, 11:38 AM

-Batteries? What for?

I don't know if it's of any help, but I just knocked this together. Still needs a bit of work, but I hope it'll be of some use.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208429#post208429

:)

evanL777
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I have one more question. Does anyone have any recommendations for chords to plug the uke into an amp?

mailman
09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know if it's of any help, but I just knocked this together. Still needs a bit of work, but I hope it'll be of some use.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208429#post208429

:)

Thanks, buddhu! That's a big help!

hoosierhiver
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I have one more question. Does anyone have any recommendations for chords to plug the uke into an amp?

I use a Fender chord. It works well.