PDA

View Full Version : Tuning to G

Pappy
09-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi there.
I've been trying to learn Swing Life Away using these chords by Seeso (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29031&postcount=7).

The chords for an Uke in G look much easier than the one in C.
Can anyone explain to me how I can retune my Soprano Uke? Which notes do I tune each string to?

KC8AFW
09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to UU!! What Seeso is getting at is playing the song in a different key (key of G in this example). You don't retune your uke to play in a different key...just use different chords/notes. Now...when you transpose a song to a different key, it will sound like the song when played by itself. But if you try to play along with the original recording, it will not match. Hope this helps...or at least makes sense.

Pappy
09-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Ah, I see.
So I need to learn the complicated looking version in C, because I want to play along with my friend on a Guitar.

Would it be possible to retune my Uke so playing the notes is easier, or it that just out of the question :p

DaveVisi
09-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Playing along with your friend shouldn't be an issue. Whatever *musical* key you play in (C, G, F, whatever) he'll simply play the guitar equivalent of those chords.

The piece as written is a half step below standard tuning. What Seeso did was give you the (more complicated) fingering so you can play along without retuning. It won't match the recording, but he also provided two alternate keys that are easier on the fingers.