PDA

View Full Version : Uke Minutes 60 - Ghost Notes

anaka
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey UUers! This week's Uke Minutes (#60 - Ghost Notes) has been up for awhile, but here's the discussion for it!

Uke Minutes 60 - Ghost Notes (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/09/12/uke-minutes-60-ghost-notes/)

You can use this technique and pretty much make anything sound fancy! Try it out and if you have questions, comments, scary stories, etc. - post them below!

Goat Rancher
09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
My arrangement of "My Heart Will Go On" uses ghost notes, and I didn't even realize it! :D http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18633

IamRobbyah
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Very cool and simple trick! Somethin I've been looking for to sound a lil betta!

Can anyone tab out "Mary had a lil lamb"? This would be great practice!

specialmike
09-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Is anyone else experiencing choppy playback? For some reason, the video will not play smoothly, and it's not by browser because the youtube vid under it plays fine...

HaileISela
09-14-2009, 04:09 AM
haha, now you're basically playing the Uke as a drone instrument (like a hurdy-gurdy or a bagpipe)... but it would be interesting to know how you'd play a ghost note if the melody line wasn't in the same key as the other strings...

indalopower
03-03-2012, 06:15 PM
That's a good question - can you use the high G as the ghost note for any melody? If not, how do you pick what note to use as the ghost note? Thank you!

DrizzleDrazzle
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Well that depends....Do you want harmonious all throughout, or is a bit of dissonance fitting? Depends on the song, depends on the mood.

I'm new to uke, but familiar with ghost notes aka pedal points, from guitar. It's used a lot in metal guitar (riffs commonly built around the low E note, muted and distorted). It's also used a lot in finger style guitar work.

For me, it feel natural to pedal off the high g on the uke, but the opposite string, the low A also feels right....other times, I'll use a fretted note as the pedal point (or ghost note, fine, I'll say it your way). I'll play a riff with the g as the ghost, then play the same riff 1 step up, just barring the second fret and playing the riff the same, but now the a note is used as the ghost note.

I dunno if that helps. High I'm new here :)