Bass Ukes!

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Last edited:
What are we looking at for pricing? for something like that.

so those bass ukes are to be played upright yeah?

and those strings make me want udon for lunch!:D

These are the Ashbory strings, the fattest strings I've ever seen...
ashbory.jpg

(The cats on the upper right hand are normal sized!)

Since I have this bass I do not play any others at all (you can hear it at all my multitrack recordings, for example all songs from Earlywolf (Earlyguard and WS64)

Those babies are sick.

Since my lovely work blocks just about everything under the sun I'll have to wait untill I get home to hear 'em, but I trust the sound as good as they look.

These are the Ashbory strings, the fattest strings I've ever seen...
ashbory.jpg

(The cats on the upper right hand are normal sized!)

Since I have this bass I do not play any others at all (you can hear it at all my multitrack recordings, for example all songs from Earlywolf (Earlyguard and WS64)

I listened to "When I Love You." Sounds good, man. The bass sounds good on it too. Is that a fretless?

I listened to "When I Love You." Sounds good, man. The bass sounds good on it too. Is that a fretless?

Check the third song, "To Be Loved And To Be Lost", that's the best!

And yes, it's fretless, like I think the ones you posted are too.
With these rubber strings (no joke, it really is rubber) you can't do fretted instruments.

If anyone's looking for a bass uke...

I met a guy in LA who made a bass uke himself out of a Lanikai baritone. He sanded all the frets down, strengthened the headstock and put new machine heads on it. Not sure how he worked the bridge...he had the same fat strings (he reckoned he got them from a surf shop!). Plugged into the PA it sounded great. Those strings are actually very nice to play!

Ask Shirley at Island Bazaar, Huntington Beach, shell put you on to the guy who made it. Am sure he can do you nice price. Visit the uke club there if you are in the neighbourhood - lovely people!

Those Bass ukes made by Owen Holt are the nbest around the playability and tone are excleent and his wood are just outstanding. They are played like a regular uke and usually are fretless. You could substitue a big upright with one of his treasures. i have playe dover a dozen of his bass ukes and owned a few and they are by far the best of all types of tiny basses i have played. Those really fancy ones are in the 2000.00 range

If anyone's looking for a bass uke...

I met a guy in LA who made a bass uke himself out of a Lanikai baritone. He sanded all the frets down, strengthened the headstock and put new machine heads on it. Not sure how he worked the bridge...he had the same fat strings (he reckoned he got them from a surf shop!). Plugged into the PA it sounded great. Those strings are actually very nice to play!

Ask Shirley at Island Bazaar, Huntington Beach, shell put you on to the guy who made it. Am sure he can do you nice price. Visit the uke club there if you are in the neighbourhood - lovely people!

I saw that bass uke last time I was in that store -- I toyed with it for a few minutes, but I was there looking at something else (but I'm easily distracted when I'm there :uhoh:) Anyways, a really neat find.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an entry level bass uke? I play the bass guitar and was looking to dabble a little... :)

I don't think there are any entry-level bass ukes. They're all hand-made. I haven't come across any mass-produced inexpensive ones.

I was at a Jam tonight and someone had a new $1900. bass uke there. It was amazing! Like having a guitarone (sp?) but smaller and amped. My son is drooling, he's a trombone player so bass clef is not a problem.......the $1900 is though........

Yeah, that's some major scratch, there.

so are bass ukes tuned GCEA or tuned like a regular bass just size of uke?

Top Bottom