Easier neck?

Island_Uke

Reaction score
Which neck is the easiest to attach to the body?
I was thinking the spanish heel

Which neck is the easiest to attach to the body?
I was thinking the spanish heel

I think I fretted (pun intended) about attaching the neck more any other part of my build. To be honest I think it was the easiest part.

Which is easiest neck to attach is a tough question without knowing you or your skills.

I don't think attaching a neck with a Spanish heel would be any more difficult than a neck without. A neck with a heel would have a larger glue area, which could be important with a butt joint.

I will say that a neck with a dovetail would be the most difficult and a a neck with a butt joint the simplest. I will say that I'm just not convinced that a plain butt joint is a good idea or very reliable.

A few questions...

Are you making your own neck or are you purchasing a pre-fab neck?

What type of tools do you have and what experience do you have using them?

I think Spanish is the easiest..because it's set in line with the body from the start of the build....But I've never had a go at one yet:rolleyes: so I may be wrong...anyway Dave makes it look easy.

The Spanish method is the easiest from scratch with minimal tools, ( My first soprano uke was made like this on my kitchen table with just hand tools) looking inside some old Hawaiian ukes it looks like the side slots were cut and then the whole neck cut to the angled shape and the sides then glued in, flush fingerboards help to simplify things(no step needed for the soundboard)

That video at the ukulele museum is great for inspiration!!!

http://www.ukulele.org/?Videos

I think I fretted (pun intended) about attaching the neck more any other part of my build. To be honest I think it was the easiest part.

Which is easiest neck to attach is a tough question without knowing you or your skills.

I don't think attaching a neck with a Spanish heel would be any more difficult than a neck without. A neck with a heel would have a larger glue area, which could be important with a butt joint.

I will say that a neck with a dovetail would be the most difficult and a a neck with a butt joint the simplest. I will say that I'm just not convinced that a plain butt joint is a good idea or very reliable.

A few questions...

Are you making your own neck or are you purchasing a pre-fab neck?

What type of tools do you have and what experience do you have using them?

Ill just buy a neck from Mainland ukes because its a lot easier

So, I can't tell from the pictures, do the Mainland necks have a simple butted neck joint, as in, just glue it on flat to the uke body, or do they have a block that can be attached as in Dave's video? Sorry if I don't have all the terminology down yet...imma fix that real soon!

So, I can't tell from the pictures, do the Mainland necks have a simple butted neck joint, as in, just glue it on flat to the uke body, or do they have a block that can be attached as in Dave's video? Sorry if I don't have all the terminology down yet...imma fix that real soon!

:anyone: Am I not making sense? Is my terminology that bad?

Top Bottom