Aquila Nylgut vs. Worth Clears

brUKEman

Reaction score
I currently have a Tenor with Aquila Nylgut. What would the benefit if any of putting on the Worth Clears. Are they similiar in sound and feel or what will I notice if I change them. I see that a lot of Uke sellers give you an upgrade to Aquila Strings. Are the Worth strings equal to or just different then Aquila.

Ken Middleton did a video doing a blind comparison between those two brands. Check it out and the results can be found here.

Total noob here but I've had the privilege of trying both out on concert ukes. The nylguts are brighter - in my own words, they project more, have more bite. They are loud. The Worths in general have a more mellow tone - best way I can describe it is that they sound like what I personally think a ukulele should sound like. The clears are just a bit more brighter than the browns. I personally am not able to tell the difference between the tensions - I've tried brown medium and lite tension and the only difference I could tell was in tuning them, the lite was more elastic for lack of a better term.

This is purely personal preference and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.

Kanaka916 Thanks for the Link

Thanks for the Ken Middleton link comparing the two strings. Just what I was looking for. Think I'll stay with my Aquila's for now as I do more strumming then picking. When I start to do more picking I might try the Worths.

I used to have Aquilas on all of my ukes and once I tried Worth Clears I switched all of them to those and I couldn't be happier with them. In my experience, Worth's are much clearer sounding and they are not as stiff and difficult to move around on. I'll never use a different kind of string!

Are the Worth strings equal to or just different then Aquila.

They are just different, very different. Both are really excellent strings though.

Worth's are much clearer sounding and they are not as stiff and difficult to move around on. I'll never use a different kind of string!

Agree: clearer and not as stiff.

But they also provide much more sustain. And they aren't as brittle and will last longer than the Aqulas.

I am considering making the switch soon. I have had the Aquilas on my Marca Aquila for a long time and I am quite accustomed to them on that instrument. However, I have just put new Aquila strings on my refurbished Aloha and I find all my old dissatisfaction with Aquilas coming back. They are very stiff. The sound is wooden and "plonky". I believe the current set is the last set of Aquila strings I will own.

I think I got used to the Aquilas on my Marca Aquila because the action on that instrument is so low and so smooth. The Aloha is still a very low and and smooth action, but not as good as the MA - and I feel it.

The one good thing about it is if I practice on the Aloha with Aquila strings, and then switch over to the MA for performance, it will make playing feel so easy. It's like doing batting practice with a heavier bat and then switching back to your regular bat for the game.

Since the master of comparison has already made his statement here, this is a bit superfluous, but check the huge thread on your subject here. Better to keep similar stuff together a bit, no?

Since the master of comparison has already made his statement here, this is a bit superfluous, but check the huge thread on your subject here. Better to keep similar stuff together a bit, no?

Good idea. Thanks. 'Cause seems like there is lots of interest in comparing Aquila and Worth.

Top Bottom