Fun Songs for Kids?

sleepsinashoe

Reaction score
Hi,

I was thinking that once I got good enough at the ol' ukulele, I'd try my hand at playing for kids, like sick kids and the like. Problem is, I don't exactly have many songs in my repetoire for that yet. So what fun songs do you folks know that kids would like, hoepfully beyond the traditional nursery songs. I was thinking of songs along the lines of Kate Miccuci's Mr. Moon (which actually inspired me to pick up the uke). Any songs similar to that in feel?

Thanks,
Sleeps in a shoe

the only problem may be working with the hospital...they arent going to let you do that unless you have some sort of established relationship with them or an "in". Typically its been my experience that you need some certification or some formal training before they trust a stranger.

I've always thought it was super dumb, since I would have loved to played for kids over the years or even just visit and encourage some sick folks. Unfortunately the laws and restrictions become a necessary evil when so many predators and psychos walk the streets

good luck man...it would be awesome if you can do it.

someone was saying on another thread that its not about "kids" songs as much as it is about "fun" songs...even the old classics that make you feel good on the inside. Rockin Robin, Build Me up Buttercup etc

the only problem may be working with the hospital...they arent going to let you do that unless you have some sort of established relationship with them or an "in". Typically its been my experience that you need some certification or some formal training before they trust a stranger.

Playing in a hospital is a wonderful idea, but you might need to get a track record established first by playing for an elementary music class, church programs, birthday parties, or with an established kids entertainer. Having a little brochure with some references will help open doors,

Some great sources for kids songs are: the "Get America Singing" (2 books) and the "Wee Sing" series of song books (Silly Songs & Singing in the Car volumes come to mind).

HUG - the Halifax Ukulele Gang has a songbook with lyrics & chords to lots of songs. Here's the link:http://www.box.net/shared/ffh56np261

One bit of advice: If you want kids to sing along, be sure to put the song in a good key for them. From C (3rd string-open) to c (1st string at 2nd fret) is a nice range. More than two steps above or below that range is stretching things a bit..

It's a great idea! Good Luck!

Any spongebob song of course!
-the campfire songsong
-The f.u.n. song
- the theme song
they're all great :D

I'm thinking "Puff the Magic Dragon" would work well....

Here's some of what's in the "Kids" section of my big fat binder-o-music:

Do Re Me - Sound of Music (TUSC)
Don't Stick Your Finger Up Your Nose - Barry Louis Polisar (CFG)
Going to the Zoo - Tom Paxton
He Eats Asparagus, Why Can't You Be That Way? - Barry Louis Polisar (CFG)
I'd Like to Live on the Moon - Sesame Street
I Wanna Be Like You - Richard and Robert Sherman (TUSC)
Ladybug's Picnic - Sesame Street
The Marvelous Toy - Tom Paxton
My Hair Had a Party Last Night - Trout Fishing in America
On Top of Spaghetti - Traditional

The ones marked TUSC are available in the TUSC songbook, and the ones marked CFG are C-F-G or I-IV-V in any other key you want to play them.

I'm a big fan of Barry Louis Polisar, and my daughter likes Laurie Berkner and Trout Fishing in America. Both Barry and Laurie have songbooks; Laurie has a lot of fan-generated tab on her web site. Peter, Paul and Mary did an album in 1969 called Peter, Paul and Mommy that has the aforementioned Paxton tunes, Puff and a few others.

Watch yourself with Puff, by the way... We've become a wussified enough nation that you'll probably get dragged off and pronounced a terrorist for promoting drugs to kids. :rolleyes:

If you have Sirius or XM (or some DISH Network packages), spend some time listening to the kids' channel. There's a ton of good contemporary stuff around.

HTH.

--Mark

Having songs are great but in my experience with young children under 10 yrs old they don't really care what u play and they aren't very critical. Kids just love music.

My 8-yr old loves Gustafer Yellowgold. Butterpond Lake seems very uke-able but I haven't found/figured out he chords for it yet...
DeG.... that's like one really really bad acid trip. Considering that a lake of butter that is also called a pond is ridiculous... playing in melted butter would be rather painful on one's skin... :love: BRING THE TOAST!

Some thoughts...

Check out stuff by Maria Muldar (from her "Singin' in the Rain" album). It has lots of fun songs for kids like "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" and "A Bushel and a Peck" which I think would be uke-able.

Also, my son and most kids I know like the They Might Be Giants albums for kids, like "NO" and "Here Come the ABCs," if you can figure out how to uke them.

One of my goals is to figure out "Ain't Got No Home" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry.

Of course, I'm completely new to this and probably have pie-in-the-sky dreams of what can be done with a ukelele.... But I do know what my 4 year old likes!

We have a local organization:

http://www.resoundingjoyinc.org/index2.shtml

That does this certification:

http://www.resoundingjoyinc.org/pages/otraining.shtml

Many hospitals require some type of training/certification for anyone outside who would like to help. I'm sure if you ask the hospital/children's hospitals they will let you know what their criteria (if any) is. We've played in senior care/retirement homes that did not ask us about credentials. The crowds always love it. Check out:

http://yesterukes.blogspot.com

You gotta sing the HUKILAU song, very simple and fun for kids. You can even teach then to dance the simple hula for the song.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm definitely looking into them.
And thanks for the heads up on the difficulty of being able to do this. Do you think that if you worked at the hospital it'd be easier to do it? I'm working on my EMT license, actually.

Top Bottom