Herco Humidifier too big

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a couple of uke cases that don't have much room for adding a Herco Humidifier. Most of the time, I try to have the humidifier in the same airspace as the uke. In one case, I have it velcroed it in place behind the neck/ headstock area. But, some cases just don't have enough room for that.

My question is, if you place the humidifier inside the internal storage compartment (behind the neck), does it humidify the case and uke properly? That enclosed area is the best place for it, space-wise. But I wonder wether or not it can be effective there.
:anyone:
Thanks
–Lori

I doubt it. The best place would be inside the *body* of the Uke itself, where the wood is raw and unsealed. If you're worried about humidifying, I'd find something that you can suspend from the strings and hangs down into the body chamber. Something like this

Last edited:
Hi Lori, you might want to check out the Oasis humidifiers, I have one in all my uke cases. They are small and you can see when the need water. I have the Herco's also, but you are right they are kind of large for some cases. If you put them in the storage compartment it will probably not work as well as there is not really any air circulation. The best way to tell if they will work in the storage compartment is to use a hydrometer and check to see if the humidity level stays the same as when the humidifier is in the case where you have it mounted. The next time I do a check I will try it in the compartment and remove the oasis and only use the Herco.

Dave is right that ideally you would want it inside the uke, but I didn't like the thought of something laying across the strings. I use the Oasis that you can attach to the side of the case. http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/case.html

Jack

Last edited:
You know, you bring up a really good point, and I haven't thought much of it until now. I would imagine, like DaveVisi said, that it is not as effective. However, my case doesn't move very much, so when I place the humidifier in the storage area, I make sure the length of the humidifier prevents the lid from closing. I like to think it does some good.. but I'm not sure. With winter rolling around and the heater about to kick up in about two months, I suppose I'd better figure out something fast... You could take the ukulele out of the case, and go take a warm shower with the case in the room, then you could place the ukulele in it later. :D

I doubt it. The best place would be inside the *body* of the Uke itself, where the wood is raw and unsealed. If you're worried about humidifying, I'd find something that you can suspend from the strings and hangs down into the body chamber. Something like this

Dear god for the love of your instruments DO NOT USE IN BODY HUMIDIFIERS. I have seen so many 5-6 figure classical destroyed with those things that they should be illegal to own.

USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The Oasis is much too long to hang from the strings inside the uke. I bought one of these, and should have gotten the one that has the case clamp. It now rolls around inside the case, up by the headstock. I hope that is OK? The Oasis I got was about 5 times more expensive than the Herco, so I was hoping I could make the Herco work in more circumstances. I do like the Oasis, since you can see it shrivel up when it gets dry. It reminds me to re-soak the Hercos.

–Lori

Dear god for the love of your instruments DO NOT USE IN BODY HUMIDIFIERS. I have seen so many 5-6 figure classical destroyed with those things that they should be illegal to own.

USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I would think this is mainly due to water leakage. If you can find a good humidifier that doesn't allow water to touch the wood, that might be a different story.

I haven't seen the Oasis befor this. I wonder due to it's construction if they'd be willing to make a "shorty" for Uke players?

I would think this is mainly due to water leakage. If you can find a good humidifier that doesn't allow water to touch the wood, that might be a different story.

I haven't seen the Oasis befor this. I wonder due to it's construction if they'd be willing to make a "shorty" for Uke players?

I do wonder about that. When you fill an Oasis, the water is absorbed into the little gel crystals, and is no longer liquid. I don't think there is much water left to leak out.

It would be great to have a uke version of the Oasis that hangs from the strings (as long as it is a safe system). But in addition to the length of the Oasis being way too long for the inside of the uke, the cap part might also interfere with the lid closing properly.
–Lori

someone did a test on another forum and it really made no difference with hercos if they were outside or inside the comparment

Oh really! That is good news! I get a little concerned about those plastic humidifiers flying around inside the case, where they might ding up the uke.

–Lori

Here's a pic of how I have mine in the case. It's mounted at an angle and the caps are really secure. Keeps the humiditiy between 50-55%.

attachment.php

Jack

Attachments

• oasis3.jpg
    oasis3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 69
I do wonder about that. When you fill an Oasis, the water is absorbed into the little gel crystals, and is no longer liquid. I don't think there is much water left to leak out.

It would be great to have a uke version of the Oasis that hangs from the strings (as long as it is a safe system). But in addition to the length of the Oasis being way too long for the inside of the uke, the cap part might also interfere with the lid closing properly.
–Lori

Nah. I use Oasis humidifiers and you have other ways to go about it with a uke: 1) Dont fill them all the way to the point they're rigid, then bend them. It doesn't hurt anything. 2) Angle it in. If the humidifier touches the inside of the uke, so what? It doesn't leak, so it isn't going to get the uke wet. 3) Put it in the case instead of suspending it in the soundhole.

The problem I have with them is that the instructions say you should need to fill them every couple of weeks to every month, if I remember right. My Oasis humidifiers tend to shrivel up in about a week. I do live in the 2nd driest state in the US, but still...

Top Bottom