cigar box for a concert sized cigar box uke?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Somebody please point me towards the right cigar boxes for a nice concert cigar box uke. I've spent all morning, and I'm still not sure!

Any wooden box approximately 6x9x2 or larger should suffice. A 15" concert scale with the neck joining the body at the 12th fret needs about 7.5 or 8" to position the bridge. This puts the bridge about an inch to an inch and a half from the other end of the box. Any smaller box and it won't sound as good.

I hear Cohiba boxes are ideal for all sorts of instruments such as this. The Olivia box is 7.5 inches wide. You might get away with it if you join the body at the 14th fret instead of 12th.

Any wooden box approximately 6x9x2 or larger should suffice.

I noticed a lot of people buy cigar boxes. Is there a reason why folks don't make there own box? (Other than the fact that some can't)

I noticed a lot of people buy cigar boxes. Is there a reason why folks don't make there own box? (Other than the fact that some can't)

I think it's just that if they didn't use cigar boxes, they wouldn't be cigar box instruments anymore. :rolleyes:

If you haven't seen it yet, go to www.cigarboxnation.com

It seems to be a sort of "do with what you have on hand" mentality that attracts CB builders. It's not about the instruments, it's more about making something musical out of the junk laying around the house, although some take it to the extreme and build some beautiful pieces but for the most part, the one thing in common is they all started as a cigar box of some sort.

Here's an example of what you might find on the tuning machine end of a CBG:

Attachments

• DSCN6896.jpg
    DSCN6896.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

Makes sense when you put it that way.

When I was a kid my father smoked cigars and I had dozens wooden cigar boxes stuffed with baseball cards. I used to be a millionaire until my mother threw out those boxes. :(

I love those tuners and headstock

Part of it for me anyway, is to incorporate the box design into a "theme" for the instrument. Since I live in Las Vegas, I just couldn't pass up using a 5 Vegas box for my first build.

Attachments

• CigarBox067a.jpg
    CigarBox067a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 42
I agree with dave 6x9 boxes make good cb's. I try to get the central or south american ones that are maybe even a little vintage. They are typically cedar, but a few are redwood. They are well made and usuaslly don't need extra bracing.
I picked up a real cool old box last week that I think is from the Phillipines, it has a sugar palm engraved on it and the wood is incredibly light weight.

I try to stay away from the newer boxes with alot of paper on them, but I've seen a few decent ukes made from them as well.

I used a Davidoff Tubo box and it sounds great.

concert%20front.JPG

concert%20front%20close.JPG

concert%20back.JPG

I got two off of ebay for $5. Also Padron boxes work well and Corina Larks (although they don't have the umph that the Davidoff box has).

I used to work at a cigar store and there is one thing you might try:
We sold the boxes for a small fee, which we donated to a particular charity. I know a lot of stores do this.

One thing we would do sometimes was to tape a persons name, business card, or what have you to the back of a specific box they had picked out in the humidor. When we sold out the contents of that box, we would call the person.

You could try that if there is a store near you. Go in and see if there is a particular cigar box that fits the design in your mind. Make a friend there and you could get some nice boxes to pick from!

I'll find out if that Olivia box is any good after all. After no bids, I won the box for $.99 plus mailing.

It may be too short for a standard Uke configuration, so I'm going to try my hand at the traditional "through box" design and make it a long neck, long enough that I can position the bridge where I want for the best sound.

I would guess Spanish cedar

I haven't seen a decent cedar box for quite a while. Most of the stuff you find on ebay these days is really bottom-line plywood and sound like §$%&/. So you really are better off making your own box - at least I have found it easier than replacing parts on a §$%&/-y box. I must say, however, that the markets can be very different in different countries and regions, so I can only speak for Germany/Hamburg.

HTH,
Erich

What about one of these? (URL removed, because the JoAnn Fabric boxes sucked big time)

2832_z.jpg

Apparently it's all basswood, which is considered a tone wood, though apparently not the most coveted tone wood...

It's big, but will fit a concert neck nicely. I just ordered one.

Last edited:
I've used a number of "La Paz" Gran Corona boxes - !0 3/4" x 6 7/8" x 1 7/8" - the top, back and sides are 1/8" thick, solid wood - cedar, I think.

The company that markets this brand is in Holland.

Ukantor.

What about one of these (URL removed, because the JoAnn Fabric boxes sucked big time)?

Apparently it's all basswood, which is considered a tone wood, though apparently not the most coveted tone wood...

It's big, but will fit a concert neck nicely. I just ordered one.

Does it suck because it's not actually a cigar box...? If you've seen my other thread concerning varnish, you know I have specific plans that this unfinished box fits into nicely. Besides, it actually has some volume to its interior, and the top looks pretty thin already. It'll be a faux cigar box ukulele, but it may just be a nice sounding one with decent projection, too!

Last edited:
"Does it suck because it's not actually a cigar box...? "

Nope, it looks like a well made box. If you wanted it to look like a cigar box (but I suspect you don't) there are plenty of labels you could stick on. The whole ethos of box ukes is to do yore thang.

I'm currently working (slowly) on a box uke made from a box that originally held six bottle of port wine - it's the Portuguese connection, you see. The box was WAY too big, the wood was WAY too thick, so I've dismantled it and rebuilt it to the size and shape I want, keeping as much of the interesting writing and logos as possible.

I don't give a toss what anyone else thinks. I will enjoy making it, and if it sounds good, I will enjoy playing it. If it is not worth playing, I will have learnt something.

It's all good.

Ukantor

Hey mattclara

I have no idea if that box good but I do encourage you to give it a try.

A question, is the top solid or plywood?

Does it suck because it's not actually a cigar box...? If you've seen my other thread concerning varnish, you know I have specific plans that this unfinished box fits into nicely. Besides, it actually has some volume to its interior, and the top looks pretty thin already. It'll be a faux cigar box ukulele, but it may just be a nice sounding one with decent projection, too!

dang, who cares if its a cigar box...the issue, if any, comes when you start making your own boxes. Then the purist wrinkles his brow when you do that cuz you ruin all tradition. Once you cross the line, you're neither a cigar box ukulele or a traditional ukulele...you're just a "poser"

in all fairness, would you rather have music or tradition??? THAT is the same question that brought about cigar box instruments in the first place. I remember distinctly a well known uker crapped on my instruments just from looking at them (I asked for honesty, and the person obliged), but they obliged from the traditional purist point of view. No hard feelings, we all got our niche...I'd rather have a homemade uke than none at all. I get alot of satisfaction from playing them, and so do others. Who cares what it is as long as the instrument brings someone joy...if you can make some music baby, its all good in da hood!!!

Top Bottom