Info for those ukers of the Plastic Persuasion

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
I stopped buying Martin clear fluorocarbon strings a long time ago because I thought they sounded horrid on my wooden ukes. But I just bought a set for my plastic Islander and they sing! They're cheaper than a lot of other strings, so that's a plus!

I also like Bushman strings on my plastics, but some of those strings are starting to fray around the 1st and 2nd frets. Never saw strings do that before...

FYI.

Yeah Martins sound better on my Lanakai than D'adarios do...

We recently purchased a new Makala Dolphin for my daughter (in pink of course). It turned out to be one of the new plastic bodied ones (the line has switched to plastic bodies; they look the same).

Anyway, the stock strings on there sound much better on the plastic Makala than they did on my wooden one. Unfortunately I can't post a comparison easily, as my wooden Makala is now sporting Aquilla's. But I have grown fond of playing my daughter's ukulele with it's plastic body and stock stings. Nice warm sound.

I should post a video with it—though I take enough flak for the baby blue makala, I am not sure I want to field all the comments the pink will engender.

I like the Martins on my Flea.

I stopped buying Martin clear fluorocarbon strings a long time ago because I thought they sounded horrid on my wooden ukes. But I just bought a set for my plastic Islander and they sing! They're cheaper than a lot of other strings, so that's a plus!

I also like Bushman strings on my plastics, but some of those strings are starting to fray around the 1st and 2nd frets. Never saw strings do that before...

FYI.

I'm really glad you posted this! I bought the martin fluorocarbon strings a while ago (because that was all my local music store had), but then never put them on my uke because I head not so great things about them. But I was planning on getting a flea as soon as my job started (still in training, grr), so it's good to know that I can put my extra martin strings to use. thanks again!

--Tina

We recently purchased a new Makala Dolphin for my daughter (in pink of course). It turned out to be one of the new plastic bodied ones (the line has switched to plastic bodies; they look the same).

Anyway, the stock strings on there sound much better on the plastic Makala than they did on my wooden one. Unfortunately I can't post a comparison easily, as my wooden Makala is now sporting Aquilla's. But I have grown fond of playing my daughter's ukulele with it's plastic body and stock stings. Nice warm sound.

I should post a video with it—though I take enough flak for the baby blue makala, I am not sure I want to field all the comments the pink will engender.

Wait! Are you saying that the body is plastic? How about the neck and fretboard? Someone is making a modern-day plastic and I don't own one?

Something is very wrong here...

I think the Martins give my flea a slightly mellower, sweeter ukey tone. Big improvement over the Nylguts IMHO.

Not to be a buzzkill, just trying to put it out there, but isn't flourocarbon harder than the plastic used in the plastic fretboards, and would thus cause more wear?

I haven't noticed any wear, and the plastic on FMM fretboards is a very hard polycarbonate. So I don't really know.

Wait! Are you saying that the body is plastic? How about the neck and fretboard? Someone is making a modern-day plastic and I don't own one?

Something is very wrong here...

Sorry, Alan. Just the body. The soundboard, neck and fretboard are still made of wood.

Sorry, Alan. Just the body. The soundboard, neck and fretboard are still made of wood.

And yet.....

... I still want one.

I can't find a good picture of the uke on line. Perhaps I could persuade you to do a video or take close-up photos to show off its wonderful plastic-ness.

:cool:

And yet.....

... I still want one.

I can't find a good picture of the uke on line. Perhaps I could persuade you to do a video or take close-up photos to show off its wonderful plastic-ness.

:cool:

Hmm, not the best picture, but go to the bottom and click on "larger picture".

Clicky

Sure does look plasticky to me

Hope it helps

Paul

Those are painted wood.

My daughter wants a pink one, which she might get if she's well-behaved...

--Mark

LOL, that glossy finish, gets me every time :rolleyes:. My daughter would want one too, she has two behaviour types: naughty and "I want" haha.

Makala Plastic Bodied Dolphin Bridge Soprano

Got some pictures for you Alan (tried my best to get you some close ups, there is one that shows the interior plastic pretty well). The blue one is the old wooden model, the pink one is the plastic one. I will try and make a video this week so you can hear what it sounds like (I need to complete the editing of the Beginner Ukulele Super Collab before I post anything else or I am going to get lynched).

I was taking a closer look this morning and I think the neck and head are also plastic. The soundboard and fretboard are wood.

I actually really like playing it. The nice thing is that these Dolphin's are cheap. Great ukes to leave in the living room or to take… anywhere.

Last edited:
Got some pictures for you Alan (tried my best to get you some close ups, there is one that shows the interior plastic pretty well). I will try and make a video this week so you can hear what it sounds like (I need to complete the editing of the Beginner Ukulele Super Collab before I post anything else or I am going to get lynched).

I was taking a closer look this morning and I think the neck and head are also plastic. The soundboard and fretboard are wood.

I actually really like playing it. The nice thing is that these Dolphin's are cheap. Great ukes to leave in the living room or to take… anywhere.

I'm digging it! Looks like this will be the uke I get to bring with on research in the jungles of Costa Rica in January lol. Wouldn't want to bugger up the nice ukes I already have :p

Where did you buy it from? I'd hate to order one and get the wood bodies ones haha.

We should petition a company to start making full plastic ukuleles again. I know I'd buy one.

Top Bottom