Happened to hear a rock band last night...

jazzuke

Reaction score
Had a meeting with a youth group I lead and we chose a pizza parlor on the Uni campus where some of the kids go to school.

While we were eating a rock band set up: Acoustic/elec guitar, elec bass and uke! They played everything from 50s rock to contemp rock and some pop. The ukester sang and strummed, playing the role of rhythm guitar.

It was quite different (and too loud....but, I'm old).

Excellent. :)

I'm trying to put together a second band myself. I have in mind a trio of guitar, bass and uke/mandolin, so I was interested to read about the band you saw. :cool:

I play with a rock band. Mostly familiar 60s/70s rock. I sing a little and strum rhythm with the uke. We also have a drummer, bassist (store owner), and lead guitar, sometimes a piano guy. We're the house band at Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park, CA and don't travel at all but have played a birthday party or two, and special events at the store.

We practice 3 hours every Tuesday night and have the technology to record ourselves. So we do it, then listen to the playback while taking a beer break.

The uke adds a unique sound to the old tunes. I keep my amp settings as acoustic sounding as possible. Works good.

I'm going to start looking for a band soon. I can play ukulele and oboe and soon I'll have a banjo, whatever I join is gonna sound really... well lets say original.

Top Bottom