Chipboard soprano cases

Ukester Brown

Reaction score
Currently live in Apple Valley, Minnesota (a Minne
I'm looking for a few of those cheap card boardy "chipboard" cases for soprano ukes. They are for my for growing collection of Maccaferri Islanders and the nicely padded ones are over kill for me and these ukes. I just want a nice form fit non fabric carrying case for them. Is anyone willing to share where I may get a few without paying the same as a padded hardshell price? You know what they look like? Plastic handle like from a cheap suitcase, very thin construct with fabric lining and no padding, sometimes a little storage compartment. I like 'em uke shaped, but have seen 'em shaped like a tennis racket too. The ones I've seen for sale are 30 clams +s/h. Way too much dough. Thanks.....

Oooh, I think I know the ones you mean. They're like the old style ones that Kamaka used to send out from the factory. Very functional cases, and I would imagine, not very expensive. Unfortunately, I don't have any to sell. But yeah, I have never seen those for sale in shops locally in Hawaii. I guess margins weren't high enough.

I spent some time looking around, and you're absolutely right... couldn't find a chipboard case for <$30. Dang, I bought my first guitar out of the Sears catalog for about that and it actually included a chipboard case. (Shows you how old I am.) I used to use it like a suitcase to pack my stuff when I was sleeping over at a friend's house. :p

What do you have against gig bags? Because I found those for as low as $10 each. They would still be good basic protection against dust and all that. Maybe buy one decent case for when you take something out of the house and just keep everything else in gig bags?

I have a concert sized one and a friend has a soprano sized one....

I'm sure he would swap for a Lanikai soft gig bag (19.00) I'd do the same fro my concert one.....

I have one for my concert uke, it was used at the store I bought it at. It doesn't totally fit, I'm not really sure what exactly it was made for, but it's good enough, especially given that it was thrown in for free. :D

I too, can't afford, or really want one of the fancy padded cases. For that price, I'd rather get another uke. :)

Resurrecting this old thread because I was just asking The Google the same thing: does anybody still sell the old style chipboard cases? I'd like to have one or two for my concert ukes. I hate gig bags - that black nylon fabric is a magnet for my white cat's fur :)

I think you are looking for the ones made by Hilo (same as the ukes).

Google it and you'll get a bunch of places.

Yep, these are going to cost you around $35 each. I've even seen them in a few music stores. Maybe call around your town and you can find a deal. And be careful---when I went looking for a cheap hard case (chip board would be perfect) for my Harmony, I ended up with another ukulele that came with a padded hard case. UCAS (ukulele case acquisition syndrome) can quickly develop into UAS. Oh, but that's not a problem for Jane---incoming Kamaka!!!

Yep, these are going to cost you around $35 each.
Sad, but you can get a real hard case for not that much more. Musician's Friend has what look like decent ones for $40.

janeray, perhaps you can find a gig bag in something other than black nylon?

Oh, but that's not a problem for Jane---incoming Kamaka!!!

The funny thing is I've already got a chipboard case that will fit the new Pineapple :)

Thanks everyone, those Hilo ones look just about right. I'll bet they don't have the yellow-orange shag carpet lining that the old ones do though!

Sad, but you can get a real hard case for not that much more. Musician's Friend has what look like decent ones for $40.

janeray, perhaps you can find a gig bag in something other than black nylon?

When I was in Hawaii I found a concert gig bag that was a tropical fish print - I should have bought it when I had the chance. All I ever see is that black nylon stuff. Ah well. I've already got hard cases, but they're a pain to carry around when I've got more than one uke. Maybe the solution I'm looking for is a roadie... :)

Top Bottom