Newest toy

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
In the early 80's I made furniture and exotic wood boxes using one of these:

Router1.jpg

I recently acquired one at an eBay auction and have spent a few days rebuilding my workshop, cleaning and installing this machine. It's principally a pin router with the facility to upend the motor for use as a shaper - 2 machines in one.

Here it is in pin routing mode.

Router2.jpg

In the centre of the table is a composite eccentric block that enables you to offset the pin. In this shot I've centred the cutter on a rotating collar that is an exact fit of my other machine's pin hence no remodelling of templates :nana:

I sold my two 2hp routers to fund this and I am happy as a pig in muck. This machine will speed up uklectic builds and be more accurate than my shop built ones which were built in haste. The table for one is cast iron and the motor head.... well it will run forever!

One off shoot from this is I nearly burnt my sprayshop down when I had a bonfire of all the bits I removed from my workshop...:eek:

Hey Pete..Have you calculated how many Amps your pulling off that 13 Amp trailing socket board ?:eek:..You don't want to set fire to the workshop as well do you?...I love the Pin Router tho'

Last edited:
Got not idea Ken but only two machines on at a time - dust extractor and another. I also have a state of the art trip board, very sensitive.

but only two machines on at a time
I can't tell you how many times I heard that line

I don't know how things work in Wales. Here in the States if there was a fire and an inspector found a power strip like that, the insurance companies would not pay out a claim.

Since you have a "State Of The Art" trip board I would suggest to run a few power outlets that are on thier own breaker to keep things safe (and legal for the States).

You can't be to careful with this stuff.
Anything else is pure folly.

Edit In:

A 2HP motor pulls 18.5 amps. running two machines is overloading the circuit.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrical-motor-hp-amps-d_1455.html

Last edited:
Yep, that's why Mid Missouri mandolins is now Big Muddy mandolins. His shop caught fire and burned up his and the surrounding businesses. He didn't have insurance and Mid Missouri had to file bankruptcy due to the lawsuits filed by the surrounding businesses. A guy a couple units down from my woodshop had a bunch of fans plugged into one of those strips and it overheated and torched the surrounding units. I replaced my three strips the very next day with dedicated outlets.

I'm sure there is a Lucas joke in here somewhere that is brewing. :D

Yep, that's why Mid Missouri mandolins is now Big Muddy mandolins. His shop caught fire and burned up his and the surrounding businesses. He didn't have insurance and Mid Missouri had to file bankruptcy due to the lawsuits filed by the surrounding businesses. A guy a couple units down from my woodshop had a bunch of fans plugged into one of those strips and it overheated and torched the surrounding units. I replaced my three strips the very next day with dedicated outlets.

I'm sure there is a Lucas joke in here somewhere that is brewing. :D

There you have it Pete, get the place rewired, i'd recommend a consumer unit with six 16Amp MCB's plus RCD and 2.5 twin and earth to each single/double 13 Amp outlet...Then you can sleep at night...Oh! I forget, you don't sleep much.

And who is the person hiding behind the pin router???? ...I can see his hand.

Last edited:
You're right of course Ken... folly is my middle name. And Ron - don't be so smug. In Britain, litigation is still in its infancy.

Oh and I know it all works because when I switch my transformer on it trips both the workshop board and the feed supply in my house... I feel fairly copmfortable that I can't run all my machines at once even if I wanted to...

And Ron - don't be so smug. In Britain, litigation is still in its infancy.

Get over yourself.

Just because I don't know the laws or customs in your country doesn't mean I'm trying to be smug. Litigation may be in it's infancy in Britain, but an electrical fire can happen anywhere.

I'm trying to help out of concern for the safety you and of others.

There are people reading this from all over the world, many of them in the States. I don't want anyone to think it is safe to do what you are doing.

Geesh!

Last edited:
Hmmm.... that is a mighty kinky basement you are building there... pin routers and power strips and all. It reminds me of a Frank Zappa song! :music:

See above. Ken worked it out tho Mickey is really quite useless. Nothing gets done while I am away... And Ron, stop being such a know-all. My wiorkshop is entirely separate from others, power goes off each night and I never leave anything running or switched on. The relays in the power to my workshop are so sensitive that I just have to fart and the powwer outs. Our safety standards in the UK are such that you will never see trailing wires to a property with live terminals on plain view because our voltage is 240v. It truly is a different barrel of fish here in the UK tho I accept when I get the next $3000 commission, $1000 of that will go to upgrading my electrics whcih due to safety laws I cannot do myself...

Last edited:
The relays in the power to my workshop are so sensitive that I just have to fart and the powwer outs.

This is not directed towards Pete but to everyone who cares about safety.

I always consider safety as Priority One. It doesn't make a difference if you are in a stand alone building or part of a complex. It doesn't make a difference where in the world you live. Stuff Happens

The reason Pete's power cuts outs so quickly is a clue that he is overloading his circuits. The more often this happens the more fatigued those breakers get. Which means one day they can/will fail. Once those wires start overheating behind a wall, they can start something to smolder. When that happen it can take hours before a fire ignites and cutting the power will not make a difference.

Don't be lackadaisical, pay attention to potential safety hazards in your home and in your shop. If you don't (and I pray that it won't) it will turn around and bite you in the butt.

Be Safe!

Top Bottom