Custom made koa uke from the Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcatkayak

Reaction score
A friend of me in the Phils, will put some custom build ukes. on Ebay.
Made by the best Luthier of the SE pacific.
They look georgious. I ordered one.

I ask him to look for a uke for me, and take attention for sound, intonation
and build quality.

Thomas

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

One of the comments on the ebay page says "Guitar of low quality"

This is almost certainly some cheap factory uke NOT handmade by a luthier...
It seems a lot more like

spam.jpg

Come back when you have 50+ posts

Last edited:
yes i know but that was a guitar of 64 usd. and i got one to, but the sound is great. so i love it. I learn to know him because of this guitar. This was the start of NC guitars.
No he only goes for the better ones. The ukes are from the susings, and Ferangeli.
These are respected luthiers. And import also wood, for his guitars.

as of yesterday:

Ok, needed some work so would sound ok and be sound! Koper: happyscoob ( 1797) 11-sep-09 21:51
Vervolgcommentaar van happyscoob (13-sep-09 19:02):
cancel comment- no truss rod and tuners do not work- not right!

as of yesterday:

Ok, needed some work so would sound ok and be sound! Koper: happyscoob ( 1797) 11-sep-09 21:51

But there's a world of difference between building a uke and building a guitar. To paraphrase Pete Howlett, anyone with a modicum of woodworking skills can build a good sounding uke, all it takes is patience.

The truth is, you're trying to build a case against this individual based on one ebay comment. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, particularly at the price the instrument is offered at. I'll tell you what, I've bookmarked the page, and if I see a concert uke offered, I'll buy it and then report on it.

A friend of me in the Phils, will put some custom build ukes. on Ebay.
Made by the best Luthier of the SE pacific.
They look georgious. I ordered one.

I ask him to look for a uke for me, and take attention for sound, intonation
and build quality.

Thomas

to me its the percieved dishonesty. made by the best luthier of SE pacific? btw those are 2 different ebay comments out of 11....

Is it really a friend of his? Samwill ukuleles is an asian uke maker entering the mix and while people were skeptical at first they proved to be legitimate. Decent quality equally kala or ohana, I believe ichadwick reviewed one, so I'm sure I could be wrong. Would be great if I was.

But buyer beware. You usually get what you pay for.

Where do you think most of the Hawain brand ukes come from.
The ukulele is already i think about anno 1900 in the Phils.
If its real koa, ask Jeff the seller he knows the builder, he knows allot about wood to, he is a passionated guitar lover. This uke is of export quality,not for the Phil. market. I can tell you the story of the Cebu guitars,if you want. Verry interesting. What i like in Jeff is
he is giving these luthiers, and family the credit, of building them. I know he have great
respect these luthiers. They have a grade tradition, in building guitars and ukes.
He became a friend as i told because i bought a handmade guitar for 64 usd.
Just because of curiousity. It was a parlour, verry traditional hoping it was made
like they use to do. I get a guitar, by know way perfect, the fets wire, was not what
we expected no adays. No strutrod, but that what i want. Just like the oldways.
Cosmetticly not perfect. But the sound that came out of this small guitar came suprised
me, i love it. So for me this was the reason that i wanted more to know about these
people how build in. When they can do this to this little guitar, how will be a reall good
guitar sound.

Thomas

So much anger in the uke world. Can't we all just get along?

to me its the percieved dishonesty. made by the best luthier of SE pacific? btw those are 2 different ebay comments out of 11....

Is it really a friend of his? Samwill ukuleles is an asian uke maker entering the mix and while people were skeptical at first they proved to be legitimate. Decent quality equally kala or ohana, I believe ichadwick reviewed one, so I'm sure I could be wrong. Would be great if I was.

But buyer beware. You usually get what you pay for.

Why is there so much anger in this community right now? This is the second post that I have read that is a direct attack on an individual. Whether the originator of the post is right or wrong there definitely has to be a more tactful way of voicing our opinions in regards to their post? And I stress the word OPINION. I know that I am no expert, and I know that most of this community is not either. Has anybody noticed that the moderators and the professionals in the industry that are part of the Ukulele Underground have not joined in on these internet dog piles to gang up on individuals? This is definitely not the spirit of Aloha or the whole reason why this community of musicians has come together. Does anybody think that if these conversations had to be face to face as opposed to on the anonymous world of the intranet that they would be so rude and judmental? My guess is they would not. My 2 cents...............

Okay maby i was wrong to say made by the best luthier of the SE pacific,
but i have great respect for Cebu luthiers, People may atack me, but wen i feel
i do nothing wrong, it does not hurt. I was only giving people the change of buying
a great uke for a verry nice price. I ask Jeff to look for some ukes and put these on ebay, thinking i could made some people happy, with it. I order one for myself as youknow.

Why is there so much anger in this community right now? This is the second post that I have read that is a direct attack on an individual. Whether the originator of the post is right or wrong there definitely has to be a more tactful way of voicing our opinions in regards to their post? And I stress the word OPINION. I know that I am no expert, and I know that most of this community is not either. Has anybody noticed that the moderators and the professionals in the industry that are part of the Ukulele Underground have not joined in on these internet dog piles to gang up on individuals? This is definitely not the spirit of Aloha or the whole reason why this community of musicians has come together. Does anybody think that if these conversations had to be face to face as opposed to on the anonymous world of the intranet that they would be so rude and judmental? My guess is they would not. My 2 cents...............

How is it a direct attack? I'm pointing out what I see, and I'll admit it comes across rudely. Mostly because I do not like constant spam on forums. If you can tell me how I attacked the poster, other than saying to me, It looks like spam. Thats stating my opinion, not saying "THIS PERSON IS A LIAR AND SPAMMER" as you seem to percieve I did

I am even referencing where I wouldve thought the same thing about samwill ukes, but was proven wrong. That doesnt even shut the door on my opinion of them, let alone telling anyone else what to do or think. And as far as bieng rude irl, yes I would be rude to someone who came to a place I frequented or was a customer of and tried to sell wares that I felt were misrepresented. Does that occassionally leave egg on my face? sure, but that IS my personality, online or face to face.

The ukulele is already i think about anno 1900 in the Phils.
If its real koa, ask Jeff the seller he knows the builder, he knows allot about wood to, he is a passionated guitar lover. This uke is of export quality,not for the Phil. market. I can tell you the story of the Cebu guitars,if you want. Verry interesting. What i like in Jeff is
he is giving these luthiers, and family the credit, of building them. I know he have great
respect these luthiers. They have a grade tradition, in building guitars and ukes.
He became a friend as i told because i bought a handmade guitar for 64 usd.
Just because of curiousity. It was a parlour, verry traditional hoping it was made
like they use to do. I get a guitar, by know way perfect, the fets wire, was not what
we expected no adays. No strutrod, but that what i want. Just like the oldways.
Cosmetticly not perfect. But the sound that came out of this small guitar came suprised
me, i love it. So for me this was the reason that i wanted more to know about these
people how build in. When they can do this to this little guitar, how will be a reall good
guitar sound.

Thomas

I don't know that there's a huge difference between Hawaiian Koa and acacia, other than price.

Tell your friend to make a concert sized uke, concentrating more on the fit and finish than the inlay, for the same price or less, and I'll take it.

OK guys, let's just call this one a difference of opinion and move on. Thank You.

Thomas
Most of the Hawaiian brand name ukes are made in Hawai'i except for a few like Mele & Pono. These are made overseas and finished at their respective factories. Hawai'i also has a number of luthiers who build custom instruments as well as guitars (a few of them anyway).

How is it a direct attack? I'm pointing out what I see, and I'll admit it comes across rudely. Mostly because I do not like constant spam on forums. If you can tell me how I attacked the poster, other than saying to me, It looks like spam. Thats stating my opinion, not saying "THIS PERSON IS A LIAR AND SPAMMER" as you seem to percieve I did

I am even referencing where I wouldve thought the same thing about samwill ukes, but was proven wrong. That doesnt even shut the door on my opinion of them, let alone telling anyone else what to do or think. And as far as bieng rude irl, yes I would be rude to someone who came to a place I frequented or was a customer of and tried to sell wares that I felt were misrepresented. Does that occassionally leave egg on my face? sure, but that IS my personality, online or face to face.

Case and point. Anger. Why? Let's all go have a beer!

Mattclara,

You can contact NC guitars Jeff if you like, and tell.what you want, than you know.

Thomas

i have a beer already, Cheers

i dutch we say proost.

as of yesterday:

If I may add my two cents... This gentleman bought an inexpensive guitar from me, made modifications to it, then after the mods were finished he contacted me to say that he didn't like it. Since now the mods were done, and he couldn't return it...he became very irate and is now trying to slur our name. I even offered to buy it back from him including the cost of the mods. I am a very reasonable and responsible person and would hope that this forum would not propagate false statements made by others.

I apologize for jumping in like this, although I would like to clear things up and stop the rumor mill. You all make good points, and "yes" it is really Hawaiian Koa.

...and I am not trying to promote or sell anything here....if you want to quote someone, make sure of your source.

There...I spoke my peace.

Thanks, and sorry to interrupt.
Jeff C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom