Fluorocarbon: Worth vs. Fremont vs. Kala etc.

RevWill

Reaction score
Who has experience with various brands of fluorocarbon strings? Are they all essentially similar in tone, or are there subtle (or not-so-subtle) differences? I'm considering switching back to fluoro on my Mainland sometime soon and would like to know your opinions.

I do realize that some of the kala strings are wound monofilament, but how does that affect the tone?

Fremont is a little heavier in gauge. I've also tried the Worth and the Martin. Martins seem sharper, almost tinny, and are very light gauge. Worths seem like the Martins but are a little better, a little mellower.

I have Worth Browns on almost everything at the moment, and Fremonts on my best soprano. I really like the Fremonts and will be trying them as well as Worth Clears on some of the Worth Brown strung ukes soon.

Haven't tried Kala, and don't care for wound strings; there is usually an imbalance to my ear between the wound and unwound strung up together.

I just switched...

I just switched from Aquilas to Worth Clears and I am so blown away by the difference! I am a permenant convert.

If you swapped the Worth Browns on my Kamaka soprano with Fremonts, I probably wouldn't notice. Some might. But they're pretty similar, and I like both. Haven't tried the Kalas yet, but I've heard good things so I plan on giving them a try on my Flea once I wear out these Aquilas.

Top Bottom