Martin baritone EBGD strings To concert uke GCEA?

iuke

Reaction score
I currently have a greg bennet samick concert uke using the GCEA tuning and i wanted some new strings as the ones on here are alittle too loose and sound odd. Sooo i just got back from the house of guitars and bought a pack of martin&co baritone strings ebgd and was wondering if i can put these on my uke set to gcea even tho the string size is diff and with the baritone pack it has 1 aluminum wound on nylon and 1 silverplated copper on nylon and im intrested in seeing how they sound and play.

you should be able to do this. It would be handy to have a bari uke in comparison what you would want to do would be see how your concert scale stacks up to your bari scale. A bari scale is abt 19 and a concert 15 so that would be a few frets like 3-5 so its natural tuning on that scale might be Eb-Ab-D-G, which would be like a bari capo'd at the third fret. tuning up 2 steps is considered safe so another 2 steps up would be GCEA it might be a bit tight but it should work n/p

Yea thanks for the advice, the new strings sound great they are fairly tight like you mentioned but very comfortable to play and I think the sound is much more pronounced, the aluminum over nylon and silver plated copper strings sound very nice and deep and keep the sound ringing smoothly.

I did this with my soprano Pono Ohai, the heavier strings really bring out the sound on that thicker soundboard. It's a great "chunking" sound for backing up.

I also tried it on a mahogany Pono Concert, and didn't like it, the strings were too heavy for that thinner soundboard and they didn't sound right. I tuned it down to Bb and that didn't sound right either.

I think those are good strings, lots of overtones and character.

Top Bottom