What are some good hula songs for uke?

This is not meant to dissuade you in any way. Usually, the dancers would ask the musicians if they know a certain mele or song. You just don't play a tune and expect them to dance to it. It would be easier to ask your friend what songs she is familiar with and can dance to? I'll be more than happy to assist you in finding chords and lyrics for songs your friend knows.

Last edited:
Nicely put Kanaka. There are many, many Hula tunes, some hapa-haole (in English) and many in Hawaiian.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure I remember any hulas with just instrumental music. Usually there's singing involved where the story is told both in word and motion.

The motions and actions of the dancers translate the lyrics to a story that is reflected in the auwana or kahiko. What's fascinating is how Kumus interpret the same song and how each halau performs it. Here's an example from the Merrie Monarch when all the Kumus of the major halaus dance to "Papalina Lahilahi" (the first song) and then to "Ke Aloha". Uncle Rod, I don't know of any instrumentals that are danced to.

Top Bottom