Uke Advice: KoAloha KCM-00 or Kamaka HF-2?

MDUke16

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on purchasing my second uke. I've been playing for about 3 months and I've outgrown my cheap starter uke.

Which would be the better purchase with my limited and precious money, KoAloha KCM-00 or Kamaka HF-2?

I appreciate any advice, especially in the form of personal experience.

Thanks!

I know I'm totally going to be in the minority on this one (it seems like KoAloha is the most popular manufacturer at UU - at least according to my unscientific observations), but I would get the Kamaka.

I have a Kamaka, and it sounds beautiful, looks gorgeous, and has the tradition and history of being one of the original Hawaiian ukulele manufacturers. The KoAlohas are flashier in style, and seem to sound louder, plus they have really great customer service from everything that I have seen. So you can't really go wrong with either, but my vote is for the Kamaka.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. KoAloha has the modern style and design, Kamaka the old-school vibe and history. Both are QUALITY. See if you can find sound samples on YouTube or, if you're really lucky, find a place that will let you get your hands on instruments to try them out. I think all you'll get here is subjective opinion, because objectively they are both high quality, high value instruments.

First of all, welcome to the forums!

I've got a KoAloha Superconcert (concert body and tenor neck) from 2007 and a well played Kamaka Concert from 1997 (so very well played that finish on the first few frets of the fretboard have worn off...we're past the fretboard grime stage) My KoAloha is strung with Worth Browns, and my Kamaka is strung with Worth Clears. So already, I cannot make a direct comparison between the two, because of the models, the ages, and the strings.

However, as much as I love KoAloha, my honest opinion is that my Kamaka concert is the better sounding instrument. That could probably be b/c it has aged very nicely, especially with lots of love and play from the previous owner, and b/c I've heard that Worth Clears are better sounding than Browns. So again, this is not a direct comparison, sort of apples to oranges, but I can say that my Kamaka white label concert is an amazing instrument.

I don't know how much they've changed the Kamaka Concert in the current form, but really, as everyone has said, you can't go wrong with either. I also love my KoAloha.

And you know what the best part is? Both my Kamaka concert and KoAloha Concert were factory seconds, and they still rock.

Welcome to UU!

I recommend that if possible, pick up both instruments, hold them, and see what your heart tells you. I bet one or the other will stand out for you.

I was deciding between a KoAloha and a Kamaka a while back and before I held them, I thought I would want the Kamaka. However, when I held and played both, the KoAloha stood out for me. However, that Kamaka was stunning and either would have been wonderful.

Let us know what you decide...and post pictures!

I say... get them both. You don't need to eat, it's overrated.

sell a kidney or something, you only need one. Seriously though, you might as well flip a coin, they're both really nice.

Try them out side by side, each ukulele is slightly different, even from the same manufacturer. Strings can also play a part in the difference. If buying blind, you can't go wrong with either one. It may come down to aesthetics.

I know I'm totally going to be in the minority on this one (it seems like KoAloha is the most popular manufacturer at UU - at least according to my unscientific observations), but I would get the Kamaka.

I have a Kamaka, and it sounds beautiful, looks gorgeous, and has the tradition and history of being one of the original Hawaiian ukulele manufacturers. The KoAlohas are flashier in style, and seem to sound louder, plus they have really great customer service from everything that I have seen. So you can't really go wrong with either, but my vote is for the Kamaka.

I've played with them both at Elderly Instruments, and the Kamakas definitely have a nicer finish. The ko'alohas have a cooler head stocks, though, and both sound fantastic, so I wouldn't stress the decision one way or the other.

mate either one you can not go wrong

Oooohhh I’ve been diggin’ on the Kamakas recently too. I’ve got the KCM-00 and I’m loving it.

I think as a way to curb UAS, rather than buying mid- / low-range ukes up the wazoo, I’m just going to save and save until I have enough to get a Kamaka. Then save and save and get a Kanilea which is another uke I’ve been drooling over. That should occupy my UAS for at least a year or so haha.

I've played with them both at Elderly Instruments, and the Kamakas definitely have a nicer finish. The ko'alohas have a cooler head stocks, though, and both sound fantastic, so I wouldn't stress the decision one way or the other.

ELDERLY. I bought that Kamaka Concert you may be speaking of... Haha.

I played both of those instruments at Elderly in Lansing as well and I leaned towards the Kamaka very very quickly. I suppose the fact that the Kamaka was from 1996 so the wood sounded absolutely fantastic had a lot to do with it, but still.

See if you can find sound samples on YouTube or, if you're really lucky, find a place that will let you get your hands on instruments to try them out.

+1

I've had both and thought there was a noticeable difference in sound. I found the KoAloha to be bright and loud whereas the Kamaka was more sweet and mellow.

Sounds like you are set up for a classic case of cognitive dissonance: the fear of making the wrong choice when choosing between two equivalent items.

There is no right or wrong answer. The Hawaiian K's are all fabulous ukes and the envy of most of us. While there may be subtle differences, they are really a matter of personal preference rather than objective measurements. Do you prefer brighter or mellower tones? Do you prefer the look of one over the other? Don't scoff at that one - a good instrument that you find pretty will provide inspiration to play and learn!

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the welcome and all of the advice. I'll let you know what I choose and post up some pics.:shaka:

Top Bottom