Best place to buy strings?

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting some low G Worth Browns on my Lanikai Spruce top tenor (unless y'all think something would be better).
Where's the best place online to buy them? I didn't see them on MGM.

MGM doesn't always have his whole inventory on eBay, but if you e-mail him and ask, he'll usually be able to hook you up.

Otherwise, Elderly Instruments sells Worth strings too.

I am usually ordering guitar, mandolin, and now ukulele strings so I go to vendor like Elderly most of the time. They usually have very competitive prices, they ship quickly, and they are a good business to deal with in general.

Yes - I agree. Elderly is great. I always order my strings from them. And they seem to carry the full line of Worths. All sizes, gauges, tensions, clear, brown, etc.

I really like Elderly's prices that I see in their catalog, but haven't checked how much their shipping is to Hawaii. So I just always order from MGM and wait patiently until he puts strings up. He has simple shipping charges, and great customer service.

what everyone above said...

I have a coworker that gigs in Lansing every now and then. I had him pick me up a set of Worth CMs from Elderly when he was there last.

Last edited:
MGM doesn't always have his whole inventory on eBay, but if you e-mail him and ask, he'll usually be able to hook you up.

I did just that. Wrote to him 6:30 am Eastern. He replied at 2:00 that he'd just put some sets of those strings on his online store. I ordered them at around 7:00 PM and EIGHT MINUTES later I got an email that they had been shipped. I've been doing internet business since around 1990, and this is by far the fastest service I've ever seen. He's got my business in the future!

Shipping for the set of strings was only a buck which is more than reasonable since they basically have to be stuck in an envelope and put in the mailbox. That doesn't stop others from charging a lot more though.

I did just that. Wrote to him 6:30 am Eastern. He replied at 2:00 that he'd just put some sets of those strings on his online store. I ordered them at around 7:00 PM and EIGHT MINUTES later I got an email that they had been shipped. I've been doing internet business since around 1990, and this is by far the fastest service I've ever seen. He's got my business in the future!

Shipping for the set of strings was only a buck which is more than reasonable since they basically have to be stuck in an envelope and put in the mailbox. That doesn't stop others from charging a lot more though.
Yeah, I guess there's a reason why people rave about MGM here. :)

IIRC, elderly charges something like $4-5 shipping on an order of $10-20. That's a lot for a set of strings.

$1 for shipping and handling is more than reasonable, IMO.

I agree, no reason for strings to cost $6 to ship. There are a lot of companies wasting your money that way. It never occurs to them to ship strings in a first-class envelope instead of a big box.

I agree, no reason for strings to cost $6 to ship. There are a lot of companies wasting your money that way. It never occurs to them to ship strings in a first-class envelope instead of a big box.

that's also why I tend to buy a year's worth of strings at a time and order once a year or so.

I just bought a set of Worth Clears from Elderly. When you combine price and shipping the difference between MGM's price and Elderly's price is little or nothing. I would probably buy from MGM in the future just because of his relationship with UU and his accessibility.

I found it interesting that Elderly says that there is a difference in sound between the Worth Clears and the Worth Browns. Ken Middleton says he can't hear it, and I know if Ken can't hear it I can't either. I think clears will look better on my uke, but if the sound is a little brighter that won't bother me either. I am going to try the Worth's on my Aloha, and if I like them I might put them on my Marca Aquila.

I've been buying my strings from Ukulele World. Don't know how their prices compare but they shipped quickly.

Top Bottom