Which Soprano ukulele brand should I get?

Island_Uke

Reaction score
I already have a Lanikai LU-21c and an Oscar Schmidt OU7T and just gave a Hilo soprano to my cousin. Now I want a soprano ukulele.
I was thinking about Mainland.
Any suggestions on other ukes or should I get a Mainland?
If Mainland what kind of wood? Mahogany, Red Ceadar, or Mango?

I've heard nothing but good things about Mainland, and I really like my Ohana mahogany CK-25. The Ohanas are well constructed out of thin wood, resulting in very light, loud ukes.

'Atta boy.
All the cool kids play Mainlands. ;)
(Seriously, you can't do any better, not that I know of.)

Sounds like you're sorted. I've never heard a bad word about Mainland ukes. :cool:

a better question would be which wood? cedar or mahogany? D: mainland offers soo many decisions that would drive you crazy. :p

I've played two Mainland cedars sopranos. If I were in the market for a soprano, that's what I'd get.
That'd be good enough for me. :cool:

Soprano or pineapple... I wonder what Ahnko would say... :D

I played both the red cedar and the mahogany soppranos in a store around here. I went in really wanting a mahogany and left really wanting a red cedar instead. Then I played Shani's mahogany sopprano at the UWC and now I'm back to wanting that one. I'm thinking that the mahagony may sound a little different once it's been played for a while. Another theory is that I could have been fooled into liking that one because of that cool scarf thing Shani has hanging off of her headstock. Makes me want to rock out while I play.

hey man, it's your uke. Go with what you like. Red Cedar vs Mahogany... I think is purely aesthetics. Then again, I don't know about the comparison of the two, audio quality wise. I have a red cedar soprano, nice and loud. relatively cheap if you get it from ukerepublic. it's a good beat around ukulele. I can throw it around and everything and not worry about it as much as I would a Hawaiian K. Not that I treat it like crap, but there was a thread earlier that said something about "having scratch marks" and it "being perfectly fine." I wasn't about to treat my koaloha like that, but my mainland, I'll treat with the utmost respect while playing the hell out of it.

hey man, it's your uke. Go with what you like. Red Cedar vs Mahogany... I think is purely aesthetics. Then again, I don't know about the comparison of the two, audio quality wise. I have a red cedar soprano, nice and loud. relatively cheap if you get it from ukerepublic. it's a good beat around ukulele. I can throw it around and everything and not worry about it as much as I would a Hawaiian K. Not that I treat it like crap, but there was a thread earlier that said something about "having scratch marks" and it "being perfectly fine." I wasn't about to treat my koaloha like that, but my mainland, I'll treat with the utmost respect while playing the hell out of it.

It really isn't purely aesthetics. Both are different solid woods and will give different tones. That is the great thing about it. Not every wood sounds the same. ;)

Or nevermind the mahogany and red cedar ill get the mango pineapple.

Last edited:
What is the difference in price between the 2 Mainlands your talking about?

I'm new in the Uke world. Don;t know anything about them.

I just ordered a Kala KA-15S from MGM. Are these in the same category?

I would definitely go for the soprano's for $200, its the least expensive and it has a pick up, seems perfect to me. If this is going to be your first solid wood uke prepare to be blown away :eek:

Top Bottom