looking to buy a new uke, need opinions...

Andybeans

Reaction score
well, i'm looking to buy a new uke, and i have a few prospects. all of these will probably be bought from MGM's ebay shop:

KALA KA-ASAC-T Solid Acacia Tenor
Well, i've been looking at this one for a few days, reading up on it, and it seems to be a pretty good uke. I figure i would try to buy from MGM, because of all the great stuff that comes with it. the problem is, i can't afford it right now, and since my birthday is coming up, i'd like a new one.

KALA KA-KT Koa Tenor
I haven't read much on this one, but it's a koa uke, so it can't be all bad. it looks nice, and i imagine it has a decent tone. someone want to maybe fill me in?

KALA KA-ASMT Solid Mahogany Tenor
Solid mahogany is nice, and it's affordable. i dunno how much i'll be able to buy for right now, but MGM has some good deals on this type of stuff.

also, there's the lanikai equivalent of the last two, that would be alright too.

opinions, thoughts?

I guess I'll be the first to say to take a look at Mainland. They have some new stuff coming in awfully soon, so I'd wait a week or so to take a look at that stuff.

I used to own the Kala solid mahogany tenor. I found it to be a great uke for the price. It had a really loud, full, and "guitar-like" sound. If you're looking for a warm sound, this definitely brings it.

If I didn't decide that I prefer sopranos and concerts, I would still own it.

The Kala ASMT is a nice ukulele. I have one that I use as my gigging uke, and I really love it.

That said, the last pangs of UAS I suffered were for the Kala Acacia. That one looks and sounds fantastic. If my UAS ever returned it would probably steer me in that direction again.

Check out TheJumpingFlea's Kala acacia review.

Last edited:
what do you mean by laminated? as in plywood?

looks like the mahogany is winning, lol.

buy mahalo soprano for $20, better then any solid koa's out there, trust me :shaka:

Dude, go to MGM's youtube site and look for the sound test of those ukes you are thinking about! At least you can compare the difference! ( I am fond of Acacia ukes though...nice sound and look!)

I also have a Kala ASMT. I have always really liked it. There are a bunch of videos of me playing it if you want to hear it...mostly through a crappy camera mic....except this one.

(this is NOT meant to be a shameless plug, really)

The Lanikai I just got is suprisingly well built and sounds great for the price I paid. I was expecting the worst, its beatiful, and the workmanship is solid.

well it turns out my friend is going to help me pay for whatever uke i buy, and i really want the acacia one, it just looks so good and sounds great. thank you for your help guys/gals.

take a look at ohana too. they make good all-solid mahogany ukes.
i played it a lot and i find it to be very good.
they are very well built, they sound great and they are affordable.

At the risk of ticking off the Kala users here (allow me to apologize in advance), I've only owned four ukes at this time, but the two Ohanas I've owned have had a nicer finish and nicer sound than the one Kala I've owned. I have a CK-25 all mahogany that sounds very rich and vibrant, almost harp like (other people have noted this as well), and LOUD when you step on it (figure of speech, although I imagine stepping on it for real would make it sound off loud and clear, too...). I can't recommend it enough. And if it's something from the Acacia family you'd like, how 'bout some Koa?

In support of the Kalas, they sound good and work and look great, and they could double as blunt instruments in a pinch. Very sturdy, that is.

man, that ohana looks nice. the price is a little much, since i would probably go for the tenor >_>

Got my Kala Acacia Tenor last night for my birthday. Been wanting one for a while but everyone was out. Mike has a new shipment in. It's gorgeous in person. A little lighter than I expected, not quite the sound that I thought it would have but the intonation was dead on. I think what I first reacted to is that I do not like Aquila strings and have some Worth Browns on the way. Also, I prefer to play low G with wound strings. So I also have both the G and C coming wound from Elderly.

The next thing I will do is remove the Ebony nut and saddle and replace with TUSQ. I think then i'll be happier with the sound.

Now to the fit and finish....PERFECT! smooth neck and frets, each intonated better than my $1000 taylor guitar! each note up and down the neck rings so true.

Not a big fan of the cases he sends with but will use it to store ukes in the closet I guess, I have a hard case on order. One cool thing was the KC02 Kala clip on tuner! love that thing.

Can't say enough good things about MusicGuyMic either. He did great!

I think, depending on what you're looking for, you will love any of the ukes you have on your list. I chose this one and am extremely happy with it! It's a really great player!

Top Bottom