what is acacia wood??? how do you care for solid wood instraments

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day, i done a search and found alot of great reviews on the kala acacia wood ukuleles, is acacia the same as koa, or same family, does it resonate the same sort of sound??? also whats the way you need to care for a solid wood instrament, like does it always need to be in its case with a humidifer, cant get direct sunlight, dings really easy???? im not to sure, never owned a solid wood instrament so whats like the general guide

Hi Keith,
Acacia is the genus of trees that include koa. Solid wood instruments need some consideration in their care, but they are not as fragile as babies. Keeping an eye on the humidity and keeping your uke in a case is a good idea, but don't feel like you can't take it out and enjoy it.

Hi Keith,
Acacia is the genus of trees that include koa. Solid wood instruments need some consideration in their care, but they are not as fragile as babies. Keeping an eye on the humidity and keeping your uke in a case is a good idea, but don't feel like you can't take it out and enjoy it.

cheers mate, thank very much for your input, understand now, lol i had thought that solid wood instraments cant see direct sunlight, can only be played 10 minutes then need to go back into the case haha

Naaaah! You can enjoy the uke like any other instrument...I wouldn't take it into the middle of the desert for a long time though! Just use a little common sense, if you're comfortable, your instument is too! Check out MGM's youtube sound demos of the ukulele you are thinking of!:D

Hawaiian Koa wood is in the Acacia family. If a uke is said to be Acacia its usually a related cousin of Hawaiian Koa grown elsewhere in the world, most commonly south east Asia. Because the trees are related, the look and tone tends to be very similar to Koa but without the Hawaiian Koa price tag.

Top Bottom