Ukulele Review on new models

haolejohn

Reaction score
I am sitting here wondering about some recent reviews that I have read on some of the new ukulele designs and wood types. Iam hesitant to buy a totally new concept or wood tyoe because of the problems encountered with the KPK ukulele (Which originally got rave reviews until a few months later). Can an accurate review really be done in such a short time? An example is the new Kala acacia wood ukes. I don't question Kala's quality control but i do question acacia's stability (Pono appeared to have similar problems with the Ohai wood). Maybe some of you experts can help me out. Is my desire to wait for a few extra months or a year to buy a new type of wood far fetched or is there a genuine reason for concern?

You bring up some good points however I think the problem with KPK's ukes wasn't the wood, it was with quality control. Probably the main reason Kelii stopped being associated with the brand.

Well, one of the guidelines for reviewing (although hardly anyone willl read them anymore) was to take your time before submitting the review.
For new models, you could think of it like new camera models have "hands-on previews", giving the potential buyer an impression of what it's like. If you suspect that new instruments might have issues in the long run, just adjust your reading to that and no harm will be done.

To stack up on the personal opinion part, I find production uke reviews more useful than custom reviews. Sure, you get an idea of what a builder makes, but your own instrument will be different anyway. Throrough review of (especially) the cheaper brands will give many beginning and advanced players a good value-for-money insight, and I like to read those most.

Well, I hope the Kala Acacia does not fall prey to the same problems of the KPK or some of the Pono Ohais because I just bought one yesterday. I can keep you up to date as to how it is once it arrives and again after I have played it for a while. It looks really nice, and I am just hoping that it sounds as good as some of the reviews have mentioned. If anything does happen, hopefully it will be within the warranty time, lol. For $350 from MGM, it seemed to be a good gamble for me in getting my first real uke, though.

You bring up some good points however I think the problem with KPK's ukes wasn't the wood, it was with quality control. Probably the main reason Kelii stopped being associated with the brand.

I agree withya. I know that I am a little hesitant b/c of those issues. I know Kala has a reputation of producing quality and affordable ukes much like Mele, mainland, and others.

I have my eyes on the kala acacia but I want to wait a little until the fad and demand for it falls down. I also think some of the negative press on these newer models can be owner fault. A new ukulele is like a new president. We all love or hate it but only time will tell if it is worth it.

Last edited:
It's a psychological thing too. If a wood is wonderful and plays great, usually people don't think about saying "WOW, this wood is superb." But if they experience a problem, they'll jump on it without hesitation.
*if it ain't broken, don't fix it* or *if there isn't a problem, it isn't worth mentioning*
Furthermore, UU has become a place where ukulele complaints and questions are concentrated. Of course with many complaints and negative statements, there are just as many if not more positive statements. But psychologically, those negative statement strike us more because it carries the implication that if we go with this uke, we might experience this negative event. It's the "care only when you have something to lose" mind set, I think. Every ukulele has pros and cons, but people fail to always mention all of the pros because they're so preoccupied with the cons. Just like when you buy a house, if there's one thing wrong about it, you'll be annoyed about that part, and it could ultimately lead to your total dislike for the house... but I should be studying Finance.. not preaching psychology. :mad:

When dealing with wood instruments we have to take into account many factors that are beyond the control of the luthier......

"Wood" as we know it, comes from a living tree and the growth of the tree is dependant on many obvious factors (rainfall, soil, climate).....

Of important note..... how a tree is felled and processed, stored, cured may impart internal stresses onto the wood which later lead to cracking or warping....

Any instrument is subject to this.......what is important is how the manufacturer stands by their product......

I just sent a Pono PCO back to Koolau because of a 3 inch crack.... They repaired it and sent it back free of charge and looks as good as new....

BTW>>>
I also have 3 KPK's (as well 38 other ukes) and I'm very satisfied with them

Top Bottom