New Uke strung backwards? (lefty)

dbowler

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm brand new here, but this looks like an awesome community! :D

I have a hopefully easy question about a new Lanikai Baritone I just got last night.

There are 2 steel strings and 2 nylon strings. The nylons (nylgut) seem like they may be thicker, but they are strung on the first 2 strings (highest pitch). The steel wound strings are on the two top strings when held right handed.

Is that backwards? I only ask because string 1 (nylon higest pitch string) goes wildly out of tune after just a couple minutes of playing, It may be because its new and is still stretching out. But I worry that its supposed to be the low string and I'm putitng too much tension on it.

Any comments?

Here's what I got... Nato, I know... don't laugh, I dont have a lot of $ :(

MODEL: LU-21B (w/pickup)
SIZE: Baritone
SCALE LENGTH: 20.375in.
WIDTH AT NUT: 1.5in.
TOP: Nato
BACK/SIDES: Nato
FRETBOARD: Rosewood
FRETS: 18
MACHINES: Chrome Die-Cast
BINDING: White

Thanks for any advice!

David

Sounds like it is okay to me...The E string (assuming you're tuned to DGBE) should settle in fairly soon as it stretches out...:D

Last edited:
Sounds right to me.

New strings do get out of tune quickly if they weren't pre-stretched when installed, which I don't imagine happens on mass-produced instruments. I think Mike (hoosierhiver) has a video on his YouTube page that shows how to do it. Or you can just keep playing at them and eventually they'll settle in.

--Mark

Hi David,

If the uke is brand new, I'd be amazed if they supplied it strung for a left hander. Having two metal wound strings for the two lower notes sounds correct for regular RH tuning. Are you using standard baritone tuning - D G B E? If you are tuning it up to G C E A, that's quite a lot more tension than it was designed to take.

BTW just for clarity - D G B E means counting from your face towards your feet. Numbering the strings 1 2 3 4 usually goes from the floor upwards.

Ukantor.

Ok, great! That makes me feel better! So far I really like the uke! Having a blast w/ it so far. :) I'm really pleased with how well its built, I was expecting it to be pretty cheaply built since it was on the low end of the price scale. It looks great, and feels nice and solid. I'm sure one built with better wood would sound better... but I'm new enough not to notice or care... sounds great (when in tune lol)! :D

Thanks guys!

BTW just for clarity - D G B E means counting from your face towards your feet. Numbering the strings 1 2 3 4 usually goes from the floor upwards.
Ukantor.

Yep, I tuned it DGBE, E being the high note, on string 1, closest to the floor. For some reason i guess the 2 high strings being made of nylon, look thicker than the 2 steel strings on 3 and 4 for D and G. Probably an optical illusion since the steel strings are really dark and the nylons are white or something?

Anyway... it sounds like everything is cool, i just need to let the new strings stretch in.

Thanks for the quick response everyone!

Top Bottom