Elbow Pain

timmoore8

Reaction score
So I basically play my uke almost every day any where from a half hour to a a couple of hours and was wondering if anyone else gets elbow pain in the left arm (I am a right handed player). It really bothers me so I was wondering if i am doing anything wrong.
TIm

I dont get any pain in my elbow, I too am am a right handed player. I do get a lot of wrist pain. Don't know if it is from stretching my fingers on the fret board or what. Had my hands and wrists x-rayed, all was normal. So it might be a soft tissue problem?

There's certain injuries that are unique to guitar/uke players.

Where is your left elbow while your playing, and what's the pain like?

If there's any numbness that radiates to your pinky, ring finger, and that side of your hand, it could be something called ulnar nerve entrapment which is basically like carpal tunnel syndrome in your elbow.

Last edited:
Frequent rests and stretching would probably help. Also, strengthening the muscles of your upper and lower arm with some mild weight lifting.

Look up descriptions of tennis elbow online. If you have pain that matches that of tennis elbow, a tennis elbow strap can help.

ukulele arthritis? :D Grab a habenero and eat it, capsaicin is apparently good for your joints. Your mouth will be on fire, and so will your ukulele.

Frequent rests and stretching would probably help. Also, strengthening the muscles of your upper and lower arm with some mild weight lifting.

Look up descriptions of tennis elbow online. If you have pain that matches that of tennis elbow, a tennis elbow strap can help.

i have bad elbows myself, i take glucosamine, its cheap and very effective. its what your body produces to help your joints. exercise is a must though. good ol' push ups works to. if your elbows are really taking strain, do them whilst on your knees to build up your muscles first.

The only time i've had elbow pain was when I tried to play after I gave blood through the Alyx procedure. The only time i've had awful wrist/hand pain was when I tried to amuse my teething nephew by playing because God forbid I don't live up to the ukulele demands of a one year old.

Basically you're either playing too much or too hard. Loosen up a bit.

Check the position of your left hand. Are you holding the neck of the uke with your arm tightly flexed to the head of the uke is up near your chin? Try dropping it down closer to your waist.

Top Bottom