Change in tone w/lowering action?

R

RyanMFT

Has anyone ever noticed a change in tone when lowering the action on their uke? I lowered the action at the saddle on my KoAloha today and I think it sounds a little different....a little "fuller" sound.

Am I just hearing things or can this change the tone a bit? If it does change the tone, why does it change with a relatively small adjustment?

Thanks!
Ryan

how ... uh , do you lower the action?! Do you have to change something... like the the bridge or the nut?

lowering the saddle changes the break angle on to the soundboard, may make it slightly quieter, but my ears would never pick it up.

Cliff

I loosened the strings, took them out of the bridge, and then took the saddle out. Then I drew a straight line on the bottom of the saddle and carefully rubbed the saddle on sandpaper that I layed face up on a flat surface. I did it slowly and checked it several times by putting it back in the bridge and tightened the strings.

I was super careful not to do too much and cause my strings to buzz.

When you raise and lower action the tone can change and volume will, too. Generally, the volume is higher when the action is higher. The tone might be sweeter when the action is lower, to some degree. Individual perception does come into play here, though. I prefer less volume and sweeter tone.

I definitely noticed a change of tone when I lowered the action on my Kanilia concert uke. To my ears the tone improved along with the playability. But it did make me think twice about doing it again with another uke, what if the lowering had a negative impact on the sound?

Cheers, oh and first post on the board!

David.

Thanks for the replies, I think the description that it might have less "pop" and a little sweeter tone describes it well. It was not a lot, but it just sounds different in a way I like. Of course, I liked it before, so it is good all the way around!

Thanks!

Top Bottom